Another ringing endorsement of Baker

JB posted this to his yahoo list. I don't think he'll mind if I do the same
over here.

Anyway, it's another perspective from Seattle on Vin Baker. Did the Celtics
do any homework at all on this guy?

MEDIA BLITZ

Seattle radio personality blasts Celtics' Baker....

By John Molori

If you think the Boston media has been tough on new Celtic Vin Baker,
you should talk to a few people in Seattle, Baker's home city for the
past five seasons.

"It was one of the greatest days in Sonics history when Baker was
traded," says Dick Fain, sports director at Sports Radio 950 KJR in
Seattle, "(Sonics' coach) Nate McMillan's game is one where you take
responsibility for your man. It's not possible to play that way with
Vin Baker."

Fain, who has covered the Sonics since 1996, says that Baker was quite
the actor. "Vin does a remarkable job of pretending that he is working
hard. He says all the right things to the media, but if you focus on
his game, you'll see a complete lack of effort."

According to Fain, Baker never got back in shape after the 1998-99 NBA
lockout. "He got ripped to shreds on our station, but the fans never
booed him. It's funny. Seattle fans will boo (Seahawks QB) Matt
Hasselbeck mercilessly, but at least he is trying."

"Baker is absolutely lazy. You have a backup power forward who is
capable of playing no more than 15 minutes and getting 6 or 7 points."

"Most of his rebounds are off his own missed shots. We're loving what
he's done in Boston so far." Baker is averaging 8 points and 4 rebounds
in just over 21 minutes per game.

His ineffectiveness became almost legendary in Seattle. "A colleague of
mine and I decided to just isolate on Baker for 5 minutes in a game
last year," Fain explains, "It was unbelievable. He was always the last
one down the floor and never got in position for a rebound."

"I sat in McMillan's office and he had a game tape playing in the
background. Baker did about five negative things in the span of two
minutes."

Fain is blunt about the trade that brought Baker to Boston. "The
Celtics really didn't give up much. Joe Forte is terrible. Vitaly
Potapenko is still hurt and Kenny Anderson doesn't want to be here."

"His agent is looking for trade options as we speak. All Kenny says is
how much he misses Boston. The Sonics will probably trade him for
nothing and eat his contract."

Fain calls Shammond Williams, another player acquired by Boston in the
deal, a fan favorite. "He's a bench guy at best, but he'll come in and
score 8 points in a minute, kind of a poor man's Dana Barros."

Fain has no personal issue with Baker, but does question his
commitment. "Baker was not a bad guy at all, but he would routinely
stay out and party until the wee hours of the morning. He just got
progressively worse. The Celtics could have given Seattle a bag of
garbage to get Baker."