Re: Mark's got points

In a message dated 11/5/02 9:19:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lancejacob@attbi.com writes:

> Do you ever notice how Paul plays?  He loves to get points, but what he
> REALLY loves is to take on the best guy on the opposition and end up with
> the upper hand.

     For someone who has been in the league for as short a period as he has,
I'm not all that convinced that that's a bad thing.  Walker did much the same
his first few years, but then the maturation process took over and in my
opinion, as well as that of others, Walker has started the crucial NBA
process of subordinating his own stats and glory to the needs of the team.  I
think he did that big time last year, and I hope Pierce does the same this
year or next.  If last year's run deep into the playoffs didn't convince
these guys that it is more fun to be on a winning team than it is to score 40
points, then there's trouble in River City.  (cross-reference Mr. B. Bonds,
San Francisco.)
     And lots of teams would like a guy who can outplay the other team's best
guy.
 - Doug