fourth referee

NEW YORK (AP) -- With a tough game expected in New Jersey tonight, the NBA
has taken the unusual step of adding a fourth referee for the contest, the
Associated Press has learned.
Its true, Commissioner David Stern confirmed. Were giving Jason Kidd a
whistle and hes going to call the game as he plays. We wouldnt do this
with a
lot of players -- Its a sign of how much we respect him.
Weve pretty much been taking cues from him anyway, said a veteran
official
who has been assigned to the game. And we appreciate the way he blows
kisses to us when he shoots free-throws.
Stern said hes been considering the bold move ever since Boston took a 2-1
lead in the series. If I have to do something dramatic to keep control, I
will, he
said. And besides, I appreciate the way hes been blowing kisses to me when
he shoots free-throws.
Kidd said he will be totally fair and even-handed as he calls fouls
tonight. I
respect the game too much to tilt one way or the other. But he added, Ive
got a
feeling Paul Pierce is going to foul out tonight.
Kidd ended a brief press conference by blowing a kiss to the media.