Re: Tell me I didn't see thi

> From: "Dan Forant" <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
>
> Pierce's form was great. But it was a choke big league time. And if you
> think the supporting cast contributed, I went to the wrong picnic today!
> Williams, Rogers, Battie, and Delk, STUNK. If *anyone* of these guys play
> near to their capabilities (we don't ask much from them) we win by 10.

To you it was a choke, to me, I just can't get down on the guy, struggling
from the line in his first playoff series.  Usually, when he misses from
the charity stripe, it's because he fades away at the end, or, perhaps
even worse, changes the way he shoots the shot, as in Game two.  It was a
good looking shot; he had good form; it just didn't fall.  These things
happen.  It's not necessarily a choke.

And, you may think the supporting cast "STUNK", but I'll that sort of
judgement for players who play really badly.  While numbers aren't
everything, Battie had nine rebounds, two good blocks, and a modest 6
points, though 3-4 shooting.  Perhaps if we'd have worked to get him some
more baseline jumpers like Game three?  Rogers had 12 points, five
rebounds and four assists in 24 minutes.  Now, you may call that a bad
performance, but I don't.  Kenny had 11 points, three or four shots of
which were key down the stretch, and six rebounds.  Thing is he went 5-16.
   Delk did not have a particularly good game, but he had 4 assists and
didn't turn the ball over but twice.  Williams also didn't shine, but his
minutes were limited, due to Obie going with the Anderson/Delk backcourt
that worked so well last game, but resulted in the last two statistics.
In fact, the whole team rebounded pretty well (43-43), though Walker and
Pierce had nine each, all the Celtic regulars had more than one rebound.
The team out-stole the Nets 10-4.  These stats aren't completely
meaningless, just overwhelmed by the loss.

Were any of these guys good enough for the C's to win?  No.  If Rogers
scores 15 points, we win, but it doesn't mean that he "STUNK" because he
only scored 12.  In fact, none of the players were quite good enough such
that he made the team win.  If anyone of them played just a *bit* better,
we win!  I realize that, and maybe you have a plausible point when you say
Williams and Delk stunk.  But Battie and Rogers had decent games.  Neither
they specifically, nor the team, in general, were good enough to win, that'
s all.

Bird