re: Zowee!!!

> From: Rich Davies <rich@daviesdesign.com>
>
> The ride continues.
>
> Nice stuff from Battie, Rodney, Kenny, Delk.

Let me restate the obvious.  Rodney Rogers needs to be re-signed.  Cecil
was right.  I love this guy.  He gives you scoring and rebounding
virtually every game.  Always with the big, hustle plays.  The guy moves
like a cat for all his size.  The only problem I've seen was the tentative
nature of the long-range shooting early on.  Well, once he was
indoctrinated into the mysteries of ObieBall, all is well.  Did anyone
catch that block he had of Robinson down the stretch?  Rogers is like 6'7"
, folks.  That was amazing!  As for the others you mentioned, they are all
playing well (as is the whole team, really).  Look at guys like Delk,
Waltah, Strick: they may not play for long stretches, then they come in
and actually give you something.  Mark Blount was effective for that one
game.  What more needs to be said?  I mean, my god, it's Mark Blount, for
all that's holy!  The guy played well!  No one was more surprised than I.
And take Eric Williams.  No one but Obie knew Williams would mean so much
to the team.   Still don't see him as a great one-on-one defender, but he'
s not as bad at that as I once thought (or he once was), but no matter.  I
want him on the court.  He makes the other guys better, and what's that
you say?  Need a big rebound or a big three-pointer from the corner?  He's
your guy.

> Lame stuff from the refs.

Yes.  I realized today that the NBA's refs are sliding by on the
reputation of a "generation" earlier.  Because what Bill Walton said was
true: the refs are better than they were in the 70's.  Or, really, they
were better in the Eighties.  Because, let's face it, they sucked in and
around the Seventies, as a group (with notable exceptions).  Then they
*were* pretty good back in the day (80's, maybe up to '93 or '94 or so).
"Good" being a relative term.  Still with the star system, the
near-codified no calls (Thou Shalt Not Call a Lane Violation), and the
rest, but more consistent.  More professional.  Would walk away from a
coach or player undergoing a fit.  Now Steve Javie stares guys down like
his manhood is somehow involved, which, for all I know, might very well be
the case.  Anyway, perhaps because of the whole tax evasion housecleaning,
  they lost more than a few good refs with bad financial judgement.  Maybe
now they're worse than in the 70's.  Hard to tell, as it was a ways back,
and I'm not *that* old.  It's a hypothesis, anyway.

But we're continually fed the party line: the refs are so dedicated, so
good, they watch so much tape, the league *requires* them to own a VCR,
they don't offer preferential treatment, they're so good, they watch so
much (how much?  *this* much!) tape, ad nauseum.  The question remains,
then, why they still can't call a fair game about half the time what with
all this progressive technology at their fingertips and all?

What brings this rant on are two simple calls in the last game.  So the
NBA wanted to stop guys from jumping under the basket and trying to draw
the charge.  Well and good.  So they make a dotted semi-circular line
under the basket.  Good idea, but the dotted line is lame because it's a
bit like having a dotted out-of-bounds line.  So they make it solid, and
they put in the rules that if a guy is touching the line, he's "under the
basket" and can't take a charge.  So why, in the last game, do the refs --
twice -- not see that the Pistons player was "under the basket" and call
the charage on the Celtic player?  I don't know, but I'll tell you what
they *did* see: they saw Paul Pierce in the air and some Detroit player
slide on in and draw a charge, they did.

Oh, well, bad form to complain after a win, I guess, but it's bad -- real
bad.  And that'll end up being bad for the League in general.  I don't
object to the officials being human and making bad calls, because that's
going to happen, I just dislike it when they tell me how good they are
while showing me how bad they are.

I think I got that out of my system.  More Celtic praises!

Bird