Game 1

First, quickly wrapping up the Game 5 win over Philly... Unreal shooting
performance. Kudos to all. But let me take this chance to praise Mark
Blount, who played exceptionally well in the first half of that game (even
though he shouldn't have been in the game... more on that in a moment). He
was overshadowed by the fireworks, but Blount was great.

Now, on to Game 1 and the Pistons.

Like many others, I remain pretty confident after this one. The Celts looked
hung over after the Friday night elation and short turnaround. They were a
half-step slow and didn't play anything resembling their usual defense.
Stackhouse and Robinson both had big games, and the Celts won't let that
happen again. I expect a very strong defensive effort Wednesday night. If
they can manage some offense, I expect a win.

And that offense... It's funny how people can see things differently. Take
Kenny... Some thought he was terrible, others thought he was pretty good. I
side with those who thought he was pretty good, and here's why: Yes, he had
that one very bad stretch (a couple of turnovers on bad passes), but he also
was the one guy who seemed to recognize the Pistons' defensive strategy.
They were determined to guard the perimeter and contest jump shots. You can
counter that in two ways: Throw it into the post to a post-up player (which
the Celtics don't really have); or beat the defender off the dribble. That's
what Kenny did. He beat his man off he dribble consistently. He scored
plenty, and I think he could have had a number of assists if his teammates
had been cutting to the basket on his penetration. The Pistons also
pressured Pierce and Walker, but rather than beat their men off the dribble,
they backed up to shoot longer shots (or just fired up challenged shots).
Antoine tried to establish a post game, but when he got position, he rushed
things and took some wild shots. If they can't get Antoine or Pierce
involved by posting them up, then those two are going to have to start
attacking the basket off the dribble. Because the Pistons are going to
continue to challenge those outside shots. If they're really determined to
get open jumpers, then they will have to start moving and reversing the
ball, but I see no signs of that. Unfortunately, the offense at this point
begins and ends with Pierce and Walker.

Did anyone else notice at the end of the Celtics' run to get back in the
game-Kenny had just made back-to-back drives and baskets, including a
3-point play-and Pierce and Walker grabbed rebounds at the other end on the
next two possessions and both ignored Kenny as he called for the ball. The
captains brought it up themselves, the possessions ended with bad shots, the
Pistons scored at the other end and the "charge" was over. I want the ball
in Kenny's hands when the Celts are pushing the ball-no one else seems to
have the slightest idea what to do with it.

Now, my one real gripe: Someone please-PLEASE-send Obie a memo that this
isn't Dayton anymore and guys can't foul out with five fouls. When did he
suddenly implement this "two fouls and you sit the rest of the half" policy?
Doesn't anyone else find it as ridiculous as I do? I'm so sick of seeing
teams make runs with Pierce on the bench for six-minute stretches of the
first half with two fouls. Does he really think these guys need four fouls
to play with in the second half? Besides, guys like Pierce get a looonnnggg
leash in these kinds of games. He's going to get away with some things
because the league rightly wants its stars on the floor. You hear that Obie?
ON THE FLOOR!  I've seen entirely too much of Mark Blount, Walter McCarty
and Eric Williams for long stretches. Where did this come from, anyway? Why
now?

One other coaching-related note: DNP-CD for Strickland. I'm glad to see Delk
get some minutes (and he was productive), but this was a game when more than
shooting, the team needed a spark. Strickland is that guy. He brings
intensity. The team needed some of that yesterday. Some toughness. This
doesn't have to be an either-or. Both guys can help. Just seemed strange.

Anyway, I'm expecting much better things Wednesday. But this Detroit team is
for real. If the Celts start thinking this will be an easy series, they'll
find themselves in trouble. I don't expect that to happen, though.

Mark