Re: [Celtics' Stuff Poor coaching again by Obie loses game

In a message dated 3/23/02 9:49:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu writes:

>  However, he's NOT maximizing this team's  abilities because of
> his (flawed) offensive philosophy. This is exemplified by the 'license to
> shoot' (often, themselves in the foot) that he's given his players, an
> ugly, static offense that overrelies on the 3, and poor execution on the
> fast break. To say that any critique of Obie is 'a crock of sh**' because
> the Celtics will win X number of games as it is, is ridiculous because the
> very same team would win X+N number of games with a smarter offense.  We've
> seen what happens when these players are more judicious with their shot
> selection, move without the ball, and  seek out the highest-percentage
> shot. We saw it happen in the first quarter last night, we saw it in the
> blowouts of Orlando and Detroit,

Kestutis,

How is he NOT maximizing the team's abilities?  Why is the current strategy
'flawed'?  It's not like he has the ability to use an inside game on a
consistent basis but he refuses to. We've all witnessed what happens when the
C's face teams with a taller/superior front line and they try to go inside.
The few times that going inside on a consistent basis works is when the C's
have faced a smaller team or a team with no shotblocker

Are you suggesting that after the 1st quarter of last night's game that he
instructed them to stop running and start playing a 1/2 court game of walking
up the floor and then firing up ill advised 3's as the clock wound down
because neither Battie nor V are legit postup players but he should have
continued to go inside anyway to MAXIMIZE the team's abilities?

You predicted the team would win 41 games. Out of curiosity, how many SHOULD
they have won in hindsight using your  'X+N'  smarter formula/theory?

CeltsSteve