From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of Georgek27@AOL.com
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 9:04 PM
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: The real problem with 3's

The real problem with the Celtics shooting so many threes is that the
only
guy on the team who even resembles a pure shooter is Pierce and even he
is
more of a "scorer" than a "shooter" except for when he catches fire. It
seems
like every time we leave an opponent wide open in 3pt land he sinks the
3 (I
know they miss some but it sure seems like they make most of them), yet
we
seem to brick an awful lot of open threes. Granted we have several guys
--
other than Pierce -- who can hit a few in a row starting with Walker,
Delk,

midrange shots and as many layups as you can get (of course we probably
have
the worst FG% on layups in NBA history). At least if you are going to
shoot
threes and deep twos it helps to get players in position to rebound.
Sometimes it seems like they are wearing those "invisible fence" dog
collars
and can't go inside the three point line or they'll get a shock.

I don't travel much anymore since bone marrow cancer (now in remission)
seriously damaged my back but I made the 250 mile trip (much of it
through
some nasty driving conditions) from my Long Island home to the Fleet on
Wednesday to get my Pierce Bobblehead and see my beloved Celtics. As an
added
bonus I got a long sleeved Celtics t-shirt for filling out a credit card

application. It was a shame that the weather kept many locals away with
the
attendance listed at less than 14,000 and that was even skewed by the
entrepreneurs who bought multiple tickets so they could get multiple
dolls
and sell them on Ebay. The game itself was pretty ugly for the most part
and
Tony Delk kept us in it in the first half. Until they finally started to
put
some offense together late in the third I thought I was going to go home

disappointed. The defense was good throughout except we had no answer
for
Wesley Person who seemed to make every shot he took and like Delk he
kept his
team in the game in the first half. We seem to make an awful lot of
careless
or ill advised passes in bunches at a time. Couple that with a few three

point bricks and sometimes we go empty for six straight possessions or 9
of
11, etc. At least when we play good D it keeps us in the game until our
shots
begin to fall.

Tonight's game was disappointing but it could have been worse. Philly
won the
battle but probably lost the war with Iverson out 4-6 weeks with a
broken
knuckle. Orlando also is holding their breath as T-Mac was carried off
on a
stretcher with what is now being called "back spasms" after getting run
over
by a Tractor Traylor and he'll have an MRI tomorrow. Vince Carter is
done for
the season but the Craptors have been done for some time now and he
wasn't
doing much to turn things around.

Go Celtics!

George

PS - It was disappointing to hear Celtic fans waiting on line for the
gates
to open discussing their plans to sell their Pierce bobble heads on
Ebay. I
know that not every fan cares about such things but I'm pretty sure that

every fan knows a fan who does.