From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: March 19, 2002 2:25 PM
To: 'celtics@igtc.com'
Subject: RE: The mystery that is Obie and other thoughts

Cecil, what is the reasoning? He's saving him embarrassment by saying,
basically, "He's not sick, he's just not good enough to play more than five
minutes...?"

If it was the other way around and he was making up an illness, I could
understand it. But I just don't see why, if Vitaly were sick, Obie wouldn't
just say that. That doesn't make sense.

No, I think Obie just prefers Battie and Eric Williams. He wants to get
Rodney Rogers on the floor, but he's only willing to play him at backup
power forward and backup center because, of course, Rodney Rogers has never
played small forward in his life and if he did he would have a post-up
advantage and that, as we all know, is strictly forbidden in Obieball. So
Rogers gets minutes behind Antoine and the starting center (Battie). He
should be getting minutes behind Antoine and alongside Antoine at forward.
But that's obviously not going to happen.

Mark

Cecil wrote:

When I coached basketball competitively, the only ones I would tell the
truth to were my players.  I wouldn't put much stock into what Obie says
when it comes to VP being "fine".  He could be saving the guy a little
embarrassment as Dan suggested.  Many of us to do not return to normal after
the stomach flu in only a day or so.