"Ain't no m(M)onkey business..."

   I didn't see the game at all last night. I read that Pierce carried them
home, although there were some statistical signs that distinguished them
from the game they played on Sunday.
   Forget the improved three point shooting, what I was looking for, were
assists and rebounds from our captains. They combined for 17 & 10, to go
with their 56 points. As a team, we were out rebounded by only three. This
may become the biggest factor in determining whether Walker's enunciation,
in today's Globe: ''I really feel like we've started a whole new season,''
Walker said. ''It's like we've found a new identity. I think we've become a
real good team.'' rings true. We had 21 assists. Not bad, but not enough, if
we are going to overcome our lack of size, against Philadelphia, Charlotte,
or even Miami.
   O'Brien has gone back to a short rotation. Delk and Rogers have taken
Williams (I presume, that when Battie returns, Eric loses most of his
minutes) and Strickland's spots. Would I rather have Delk and Rogers off the
bench, with Williams, Strickland and McCarty as back up, then Palacio and
Blount, backing up Eric and Erick? You bet, but don't run the top 7 or 8
into the ground, like you were doing in February, please.
   Tony Battie is missing the fun. He has become motivated to return to
practicing and wants to play this week. I hope they don't rush him back. We
will need him down low, come playoff time. We are scoring more points after
the trade, but without Battie, we are giving up  more also. Coincidence?
   Will jealousy over shots, bring the team back to earth, or have we really
become a selfless, "do whatever it takes to win," team? Just as after a few
losses, the team takes stock in itself and intensifies the defense, starts
running, rebounding and passing; so, after some big wins, we have often
forgotten how we got them. New Jersey on Wednesday. Win this one and I'm a
believer; Antoine.

        JB

Link to current standings:
http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/1995/nba/nba/stat/2000-01