Re: W. McCarty Player of the Week!!!

At 10:35 PM 3/8/02 -0500, Georgek27@AOL.com wrote:
>    Walter's always been energetic and versatile but usually out of
> control. I
>don't know if he's learned to harness his energy for better control or if
>we've sped things up to play at his speed.

Hmmm. Us having sped up to match him was an interesting thought that never
occurred to me, but I think the real answer is even simpler. He's being
provided with a badly needed clue by the coaching staff.

Walter's always had a lot more hustle and athleticism than basketball
brain. While one of the clearest differences with the Obie regime vs
Pitino's has been that the players know their roles, in general and in
particular circumstances. They may not fill them well or you may not always
agree with what those roles are, but they clearly exist and clearly were
not well defined before (easiest to see on defense where under Pitino they
played like someone who had been screamed at, er, merely told what to do
while now they play like someone who's being shown and drilled into
understanding). FWIW, with Walter, I also think that the long sit having to
earn PT again helped reinforce things. Not that he has an ego problem, but
to reinforce the importance of structure and doing things right rather than
just expending energy. I just wish he'd use his quickness and athleticism
inside more on offense.

Kim