  From: owner-celtics-digest@igtc.com
[mailto:owner-celtics-digest@igtc.com]On Behalf Of Raymond Angelo Belliotti
  Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 7:37 AM
  To: Celtics-Digest@igtc.com
  Subject: Nolan Richardson

  Mr. Wright has asked for judgments on the firing
  of Nolan Richardson. I don't know the specifics of the situation, but I am
familiar with university maneuverings in general. Here are some
possibilities:

  (1) That NR is an excellent coach is beyond dispute. Look at the record.
  (2) University administrators, especially incoming hires,
  are suspicious of entrenched figures who either know much about the
institution's climate and history, or have attained high stature. NR's
status at his school would always tower above a new University President's
status. An insecure incoming President might well resent NR's status.
  (3) The graduation rate of NR's players was dismal. A new
  administration might well find this unacceptable. While
  NR is correct that he cannot be blamed entirely for this, he can be
faulted for recruiting "student-athletes" who would not benefit from a
college education. The poor graduation
  rate was foreseeable. This, combined with a mediocre current record,
counted against NR. When the team was earning final-four berths and a
championship the earlier administration would gleefully take the money and
positive publicity. With mediocre records comes closer, often sanctimonious,
scrutiny of graduation rates.
  (4) NR invited the administration to fire him: "If they buy out my
contract, I'll go." If the administration was on the fence
  about whether to do so then NR's statement may have helped them decide.
      I am speculating, not having any inside information. I hope NR accepts
a worthwhile coaching job soon. I have
  always enjoyed his "40 minutes of hell."

  Raymond Angelo Belliotti
  Distinguished Teaching Professor
  Chair
  Department of Philosophy