re: Obie still is a bonehead

> From: Celtic4Hire@AOL.com
>
> Bird,
> Ok. I have taken some of your shots. Note that your shots were only
> personal
> in nature and had nothing to do with the content of my Celtic coaching
> criticism. Let me step down to your level only long enough to say that
> anyone
> whose handle is the name of one of the greatest Celtics ever gives me the
> vision of a  5 foot 6, hairy forty something white guy who wears a Bird
> jersey.

You know, I didn't even really have you in mind, specifically.  There's
just been an increase in slinging names around.  In fact, I think the only
one you've used is "bonehead".  I actually enjoyed "Obie isn't my friend"
as a title; it had a plaintive tone that really brought out your
frustration.  Like I said, I tend to agree with your criticism of the
coaching recently, just disagree that it automatically makes someone an
"idiot" for acting as the coach is acting.

Oh, by the way, it isn't a "handle": it's my last name, and I'm really
pretty sick and tired of people assuming it's some sort Larry Bird
reference, homage, or sacrificial metaphor.  Get that straight, at least.
And, really, you oughtn't to be bringing up "handles" either Mr.
Celtic4Hire: not when that handle is like its own glass house.  Ever
thought there's a *reason* you're a "celtic for hire" and Obie, Wallace
and the other "boneheads" who run the place have jobs as Celtics?  Hmmm?
Perhaps you or I or anyone here knows more ... but perhaps not, huh?

You need to stop thinking that this is all some veiled attack on you,
because it's not.  To my mind, in fact, you've said what you've said with
good reasons, some I agree with and some not.  And I tend to agree with
your conclusions.  It's been better than a lot of "Obie's a moron.  This
team will *never* compete" stuff we see.

> I simply just don't understand Obie's fascination with Erik
> Williams and 6 foot 2 shooting guards.

Hey, I don't either.  You know what I'd like to see, though?  You spell
Eric Williams' first name right just once.

>  It just irritates me to all get out
> when people like you say "Don't worry. The Braintrust knows what they are
> doing. That is why they are running the organization."

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying many things, one of which is people ought
to stop throwing names around like they're on a freaking playground, and
another is that maybe, just maybe, for chrissake, they *do* know what they
are doing.  Or maybe that they will figure it out.  At least that's what I
tell myself daily.  Or maybe they're really on to something, starting Tony
Delk and all the rest.  Does it look that way to me?  I have a bad feeling.
   But they could fix it, or even *make* it work with a few pushes and some
prodding, too.  Does this mean you can't criticize management?  No, go
right ahead.  It is even remotely possible for you to do so without
calling someone a "bonehead"?  We'll see.

> I would hate to think that we
> would all have to agree with you or in the same way as you or we couldn't
> comment.

Well, you found me out.  You will comply, you know, sooner or later.  Once
I point my Way of the Ray Brand Telepathic Celtic Fan Attitude Adjustment
Widget in the general direction of the Internet, I'll have you  right
where I want you.  Gimme a break.

> As for JJ's recent poor showing. Yeah, he is starting to show like he did
> with the Celtics. However, Pierce went into slumps also as a rookie as
> teams
> scouted his moves and he had to develop other moves to counter. The thing
> is
> that you will never be able to change that JJ is 6 foot 8 with a great
> handle
> and passing ability. The confidence and experience will come. Phoenix was
> willing to risk the luxury tax for him...

It's going to be a while before anyone knows how JJ will turn out as an
NBA player.  That what happens nowadays with underclassmen coming out.
They could use experience, but have so much talent/potential that they are
snapped up in the draft.  The fact that Pierce and Johnson both went into
slumps could be the only thing they ever share, or JJ could become an
All-Star.  Depends on injury, situation, temperment (perhaps especially
with JJ) and probably many more things.  One thing's almost for sure,
though: he wasn't going to become comfortable in this system this year at
all.  Maybe he would have next year or soon after.  We'll never know now,
because it's a whole new situation for him.

Bird