Re: ESPN likes the pick and says Songaila should step in and play nex t season

In a message dated 6/27/2002 1:04:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu writes:

> --- You wrote:
> But here comes Songaila spoiling the plan, because he's sick of Europe, and
>
> came to the states to make his mark, and doesn't want to go back. So, now
> you
> have a
> quandary. You don't need both Songaila and DD on the roster at the same
> time.....
> --- end of quote ---

This assumes an awful lot. It assumes that both these guys -- a 50th pick and
an undrafted 25 yr old veteran -- are NBA quality. Even if they are I can
think of worse problems to have. I'd have to guess that if DD can play then
he gets first dibbs on a roster spot because we don't hold any rights to him
unless we sign him. If Rogers gets away then both guys are going to have a
shot if they earn it. Looks like good news to me for a team that has been
missing an inside presence. Songalia may not want to go to Europe for a year
but I'm sure he can be convince if necessary or maybe he becomes a trading
chip if both guys show well at Shaws. I certainly prefer this dilemma to
having a couple of acknowledged stiffs competeing for a roster spot.

George