Ray's pick not coming to America

Anderson Varajeo, the big Brazilian Ray endorses for the 50th pick, withdrew
from the draft yesterday. Other names we have seen from various sources also
pulled out--Zaur Pachulia and Boris Diaw-Riffiod most notably.

I do expect the C's to take a foreign player and stash him overseas for a
couple of years, and that's fine if the guy can play. But I hope they don't
grab another Ben Pepper (can't play) or Josip Sesar (forgotten), just
because it's their turn at the podium. If they're going to look overseas,
then let's hope they do their homework this time and identify a legitimate
prospect, not just a name to throw out for the fans to forget in a couple of
years.

I also hope their goal of not adding a contract this season doesn't preclude
them from taking an overlooked college player like USC's Sam Clancy (I have
a feeling about him), Oklahoma State's Maurice Baker (potential sleeper if
he can regain junior season form), Darius Songaila (a banger who can score),
Marcus Taylor (point guard prospect who, unlike Omar Cook-who I'm still high
on-can shoot), Corsley Edwards (small-college rebounding machine who could
be another Malik Rose) or Robert Archibald (big, solid, soft-handed center
from the Big Ten-another Brad Miller?).

Also, it sounds like there's a lot of action in the latter half of the first
round. Picks might be available. I hope the Celts keep their options open.
Normally, I'd never advocate trading for a late first-round pick-it's a
guaranteed three-year contract for a marginal prospect. But with the number
of young foreigners who may be available at that point, this might be the
time to consider it. If you can pick up a late first and grab a Nenad
Kristic, the 18-year-old center, or a Mladen Sekularac, the 20-year-old
swingman-legitimate prospects-and let them mature for a couple of years,
then it makes sense. And if they can dump Forte in the deal (unlikely), then
it frees up a little more cash for Rogers...

Mark

P.S. Has anyone read anything about the Celtics working out prospects? I'm
assuming it's happening, but the beat writers are ignoring it since the team
doesn't have a first-round pick. I certainly hope it's happening. In fact,
they should be working out guys who could be late first-rounders. You never
know what will happen, and they should be prepared.