Re: Thoughts on Laker win

In a message dated 6/15/2002 6:01:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
davied99@netzero.net writes:

> The Lakers are the best team in the NBA, and have good management, but let
> them win 5 or 6 in a row before talking about dynasty.  OUR best hope is
> that this season was the foretaste of a great Celtics run in response,
> hopefully cutting the "Laker dynasty" off at its knees.

     I guess that, in reflecting on it, a "dynasty" is a team that wins over
a period of years exceeding the career of any individual player.  The Lakers
have done that, as have the Celtics unless you count the 74-76 champs, with
Havlicek, being an extension of the 60s teams; I don't.  Dynasties, then, are
created by management.  There have been two great management teams so far in
the NBA:  Red Auerbach and the Laker duo of Sharman and West.  Again, the
Bulls were Jordan's team.  When they Bulls win five more titles in the next
decade, then THEY can start talking "dynasty."
     And the gloomy tone of my original post was due to the fact that Walker
is now just about in his prime and Pierce is getting there, but where will
they be when Shaq decides it's time to pull the plug?  On the downside.
THAT'S why I'm glum.  With contracts and the Like, Walker/Pierce better get
it done within the next four years or that era in Celtic basketball is gone.