Re: O'Neal

--- You wrote:
I was struck by a comment by Bill Walton that when Shaq was with Orlando
he weighed 275.  Now, I understand that he weighs over 350, but runs the
floor extremely well for such a big man.  I don't know anything about
steroids or growth hormones.   I don't know if anyone else here does or
not either.  But, the thought that went through my head was, "Is Shaq
truly human, or is he enhanced by chemicals?"  Now, this question may
sound like sour grapes or something, but I am really wondering about how
a human can weigh what he does, have the coordination he does, run like
he does, etc.  Maybe I am just jealous cause he doesn't wear green, or
maybe it is just too much Ken Camenti for my brain?
--- end of quote ---

Well, he's much fatter than he used to be in Orlando (I seem to recall they
claimed 5% BF for him, which is probably half of what he actually was, but
still). He's also more muscular, which may or may not be due to steroids
(people who know seem to think GH doesn't do a helluva lot for a mature
athlete). When a 5-7 dude goes from 160 to 275 ripped, there can be no other
explanation, but Shaq *is* over 7 feet tall, and he's matured over a number of
years and gotten fatter, too. So, who knows. He's probably so gifted, he can
put on muscle if he looks at it hard. But I suspect not a few other NBA
players, especially forwards, are chemically enhanced. It makes a lot of sense,
not just from the size and strength standpoint, but for recovery reasons.
Kestas