final thoughts (long)

I'll start with WayRay's assertion that the Celtics lost to a bad team. This is
either outright trolling (by implying that the Celtics are much worse than a
"bad" team), or an incredibly boneheaded statement (implying that the Celtics
were the better team). I'll assume, probably wrongly, that WayRay is NOT
trolling this time, and talk about the latter possibility.

I think we all got the wrong impression about the Nets from our regular season
games (and results). They have the textbook definition of an MVP in Kidd, a
solid, if unspectacular starting five, and a very good bench (just think about
how the series would've gone if we had Lucious "Can't Miss" Harris, Jefferson,
and Aaron Williams on our bench). They have an underrated coaching staff, play
attractive half-court offense and very good defense, and run fast break as well
as any team in the league. They did not win EC by accident, and they dominated
us in this series as completely as it's possible for a team to dominate another
without sweeping them. While I'm very disappointed that we did not advance, I
agree with Bob Ryan that we'll get to watch more attractive basketball in the
Finals. At least at this stage of the season (with the Celtics mentally and
physically depleted, and the Nets hitting on all cylinders), the EC will be
better represented by the Nets. I just hope the Kings win on Sunday, and then
we'll REALLY get to see some pretty  basketball by both teams.

On a less cheery note, this series highlighted our flaws very well - the
static, easily predictable offense, lack of size and rebounding, too few
reliable scoring options, no true point guard (Kenny, aside from a creative
pass once every few games, doesn't qualify). On the Nets, KMart, Kittles, Van
Horn, Harris, Kidd, and Jefferson all have the ability to score and even
Williams and MacCulloch are dangerous in the box. Delk and Rogers were supposed
help with scoring, and Rogers occassionally has, but that's not enough. Eric
Williams and Kenny, their decent scoring games last night notwithstanding,
aren't reliable enough either.

Alas, the most we can hope for next year is Rogers's being re-signed and Delk's
rediscovering his alleged offensive prowess (not being misused by Obie would
help).  Perhaps Eric will return to health and provide more offense, Kenny will
maintain his current production, Cook will develop into a Tinsley/Parker, and
Kedrick, into at least a Richard Jefferson, but that's less likely. I'm really
hoping they re-sign Strick, but probably in vain. The sad part  is, if the
majority of these things don't work out, we will not reach even the ECF next
year. Pierce and Walker can't carry us into the Finals alone - we now know
that. They're not Shaq & Kobe, no matter how much they improve for next season.

Looking ahead to next season, Orlando (if the rumours of Grant Hill's return to
health are true)  and Milwaukee(if the coaching issue is resolved) will likely
be better , the Nets and Philly will be there, Detroit and Indiana may very
well improve through additions and growth  for next season. And that's just the
predictable ones. There will undoubtedly be some surprise team(s), just like
the 1-2-3 teams in the EC this year. If we stay the same, we will undoubtedly
regress relative to the Eastern Conference. Wallace and Co. have their work cut
out for them this offseason.

Lastly, thanks to our Celtics for their hard work, determination, and the best
season in many years. It wasn't quite enough to reach the Finals, but perhaps
this disappointment will spur both the management and the players to work
harder on improving for next season.
Kestas