Re: [Celtics' Stuff Hail to the Conquered Heros

Great season and interesting reads here. Thanks everyone! I am a relative
newcomer here and so I don't know if people still post/keep in touch during
the offseason but I am hooked on my daily fix of C's.

Some things I will never forget about this series:

J Kidd and the whole family thing. I don't want to get into whose position is
right but I believe like the Rambis clotheslining in '84 that it was the
lighning rod that turned the momentum of this series. You also don't
infurtate the team's best player, as the fans also tried to do with Iverson.

Byron Scott simply outcoached Obie. Sad, but true. It seemed like every time
NJ came down the floor they ran a play and knew in advance where they wanted
to go. Boston brought the ball down and it was just kick it to the open man
for the open shot, regardless of who it was and how bad their shooting % was.

The officials: I can't believe the numerous calls (and non-calls) that killed
the Celtics! Too many to list! Nets got unbelievable calls (and at the Fleet,
no less!). Not going to shelter the team from that, however. Even though
things seemed to be against them, they still had chances to win eveyr game
(except #1) and NJ seemed to want it more.

Some thoughts on last night: The captains did not come through, as you (may)
have seen Kobe and Shaq do last night. Seemed like Paul was afraid to shoot
from the outside and Kenny had no problem with it (wish he had). Our captains
did not come through and on a two man (essentially) offensive team, that
spells loss. It seemed every time the Celtics had 3 or 4 guys in the paint on
defensive the Nets could do nothing. When they chose to backpedal on defense
(more on that in a second) we were toast. I don't know if it was laziness,
the players were burned or it was Obie trying to set up some plays but it was
inexcusable that no one is guarding Van Horn, etc and no one is there for the
rebound. Where wa Battie? One play in particular that stands out was when
someone (at a crucial point) shot it and BAttie was backpedaling at the 3
point line on defense. There was a long rebound and had Battie been charging
the ball and not been backpedalling he would have bhad it. Instead, I think,
Kidd came out and got and fast breaked a layup. These things hurt. The other
thing that makes me mad about Obie is how about htis play? Kenyon Martin lost
his sneaker and the mother of all obvious calls was to go to his guy for the
easy layup. Ever try to play basketball with one sneaker? Instead, I think it
went to the corner for a missed 3 (by EW?) The point is that was where the
ball should have gone. NOt to sound bitter, but I STILL can't believe the
refs. Kenyon Martin was actaully KICKING Twoine when he had the ball. Once in
the presense of a ref and again NO CALL. No respect for the C's, but still
they were in shouting distance but again Van Horn shot (and drilled) the 3
point dagger with a minute to go (ala game 4). Again, don't like the reffing
this series, don't like the way the C's apparently gave up and I really don't
like the way Nets celebrated on our floor, especailly Byron and plastic-face.
Well, I guess I will have to root for Shaq to smoke these Nets.

Next season? Thoughts? Who wants Rodney back? Will Strick stay (or be
wanted)? How about the salary cap and will finally Josip Sesar in green? Will
ther be a trade? These will be great upcoming threads this summer.

Sorry for the long winded post but I need to get a lot of that out. Thanks
everyone (and the Boston Celtics) for a great unexpected season!

Peace!