Leo Papile's math?

Can anyone, Kim Malo perhaps, deconstruct what Leo Papile
said yesterday in the papers, which the Herald's Mark
Cofman bought hook, line + sinker?

The more Leo speaks these days, the more I feel like
maybe we're being sold a used car instead of a
ballplayer. Sometimes, he really does take fans to be
fairly stupid.

***

http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/celtics/cs07252002.htm
``Yes, we're picking up $56 million, but we're giving
away $30 million in the deal,'' said Papile, referring to
the collective money owed Anderson, Potapenko and Forte
on the remainder of their contracts. ``Over the four-year
period it'll cost us about $7 million per year to have
Vin here over the first three years, then about $4.7
(million in the final year). So we take on an extra $26
million (over four years) for a starting center who can
also play power forward. What you have to take into
account is how much a starting center costs in this
league and then do the math."

***

As spin goes, the 26 million seems "close enough", but
the rest of it sounds invented in thin air (although I'm
no cap expert). Am I wrong in saying this?

According to my rough math, it goes:

2002-3 One million in savings
2003-4 (6 million more against cap)
2004-5 (8.4 million more)
2005-6 (15.75 million more)
-----------------------------

The hard part, of course is that Antoine Walker is free
in the summer of 04-05.

He'll be 28 by then, and we'll probably need a brand new
owner by then to re-sign him or get back the same value
in a sign-and-trade. Otherwise he's likely gone, even
though Baker's 15.75 million finally clears the books
just 12 months later.

Its not impossible to re-sign Walker. It would be a
distortion to say that the Baker signing means we lose
eight of last year's guys plus Antoine later on.

But one thing is for sure, Chris Wallace has to be
extremely prudent in replacing expiring contracts leading
toward 04-05.

We really are talking about needing a bunch of $350
thousand rookie minimum wage type additions. A few first
round picks to sign, and it gets even dicier.

Remember, Boston couldn't even afford to keep Joe Forte
around (he would have made 1,080,000 in his last
guaranteed year).

In addition, everyone Chris Wallace signs will have to
agree to contracts that expire in 04-05, in order to
assure we can sign Walker or sign and trade for equal
talent rather than lose him outright.

My view is that talent-wise the Baker trade did make good
sense. If Obie develops the right zone defense and
offensive sets, they will be a very competitive team.

But I can't be too surprised if Chris Wallace jumps ship
before 2004-05. That's when it all might hit the fan.

If only he could have gotten Vin Baker to put his money
where his mouth is about this career move, and transfered
the final year of his contract into a team option.

Then, I would have to admit it might well be a bold but
reasonable gambit he pulled off. All bases would be
covered, as far as blocking Boston's two other max
contracts from leaving with zero compensation.

Again, I'd feel a lot better if Rodney Rogers doesn't
sign with Philly in the end. Its fortunate that they
signed Monty Williams, since every extra cent could make
the difference in signing Rogers while staying under the
luxury tax. Still, in my worst nightmare I see Rogers
signing with Philly just out of spite. I picture him in
an empty gym shooting threes with Chris Wallace's face
tacked onto the backboard.

So far this Summer I insisted that Rogers will sign in
Boston and later that Gaston would never agree to Vin
Baker's contract. As for Rogers not going to Philly, that
would be a triple-or-nothing bet. I'd rather just keep my
mouth shut rather than jinx the team any further.

***

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?