re: Baker and future

From: Kim Malo <kimmalo@mindspring.com>

At 11:51 PM 7/24/02 -0700, bird wrote:
>Walkerpierce reported to be on board. Supposedly, they were consulted and
OK'd it. Perhaps they saw the writing on the wall; they're not stupid.

Someone a day or so
ago brought up a point that probably doesn't get enough attention about
that, BTW, when looking at the difference Vinnie makes over VP or RR.
Hands. Vinnie for all his possible faults does have good, soft hands that
can actually catch a pass, particularly a less than perfect one. It was a
major problem with VP and to an admittedly lesser degree RR.
Much lesser degree, I think, but the point still stands. V, especially, could not catch a pass down low. The only thing that may concern me is that Kenny was the guy getting most of those passes to that inside guy, and now he's gone. So, Walker, Pierce, Eric Williams -- all the slashers,
the guys who can pass, the CBA-level points; they all have to emphasize the passing. We may even see a more sophisticated offensive scheme this year.

If nothing else, I think just the fact that they were consulted probably
will help them accept the situation and ease chemistry adjustments, even if
they do have reservations. It's good management psychology, saying that
this is a partnership not a master/flunky relationship (whether or not that
is really true).
This is exactly the sort of guarded optimism I currently hold. It's not so much that Walkerpierce know what's good for the team, or even that they are enthused. But the fact they were consulted is a good sign. That's all. Just a sign, pointing to a possible way. It seems to indicate a smoothing of the inter-relationships on the team. I think you need that, sometimes, when players get moved.

>One whose contract ends before Walkerpierce's,
thus giving you the situation down the road where you have an large
expiring contract and Walkerpierce still under contract, salvaging *some*
cap flexibility.

I agree with this except for one small detail. Vinnie's contract doesn't
expire before both halves of walkerpierce. Walker's expires a year ahead of
Vinnie's. http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm
Really? Hmmm, well, so much for that idea. Although, there were already rumblings about how Baker's contract might be useful in that expiring year.
Perhaps to re-sign Walker if necessary. Who knows? It allows for *some*
flexibility, even if it is less than one might hope for. Either way, it'
's a while coming. I'm sure Chris Wallace is thinking that's "Then" Chris Wallace's problem, not "Now" Chris Wallace. And he's right. Too many things can happen in three years in the NBA. I hope they have a plan, but that it plans for many eventualities.

>What is fair, though, is saying Gaston thinks of this as a business.  He
doesn't really care about winning it all, except in how that would benefit
the team financially and in public relations.

FWIW, I wouldn't go that far as I'm pretty sure he's some strong
competative instincts. I just think it's not as high on his priority list
as the other stuff.
Perhaps. Maybe he picks his arena as far as competition goes. That is, he is very competitive in business. I think I've made my position on this very clear in other posts, so I won't bother here. But by "other stuff" you mean the business angle, correct? I think that is very clear for all to see.

Bird