[no subject]

Chris Wallace often talks about how he's been "tracking"
a player for some time. The buzz on Rodney Rogers and
Delk actually started with positive impressions mentioned
at least a year before during the Pitino era
(remember "Battie for Rogers"?). Same with Shammond
Williams at Shaw a few years ago.

One concern is that CW might be making trades based on
old impressions and scouting reports. If that's the case
we might as well invite other doughboys (Vinnie adds
fresh meaning to the nickname "Microwave") to comeback
camp like "Hotplate" Williams and Oliver "Miller Time".
Doh! We've actually done that.

The difference this time is the 55 million. Would Wallace
go on the FA market and sign a 13 and 6 guy to 55
million? What if the player in question is 30 and carries
with him clinical depression, double chins, alcoholism
and inability to play with two other scorers?

My impression is that Chris Wallace is as nervous as all
the rest of us. Hence you get the joking around, the
cutting people off when they mention Joe Forte's
impressive summer, etc.

Wallace knows he dumped 7 or 8 guys off a team with
outstanding locker room chemistry, including handing the
fourth most valuable player to Philly (Kenny was third
MVP)and jetisoning 2/3rd of your prized rookies, in order
to add Vin Baker and his contract.

Wallace is nervous because he just bet all or nothing on
one player: knowing fully well that the announcement set
off all night fireworks and parades in Seattle, and that
the majority of his GM peers think Vin Baker has the
worst contract in basketball bar none (at least Juwanaman
Howard's ends much sooner).

Ultimately, this isn't going to be one of those "I told
you so!" type trades. Critics of the trade all recognize
the possibility that Vin will have a comeback year and
improve the team's winning chances.

But under that scenario, "I told you so!" (Wallace's "hit
one out of the park" comment) would be akin to boasting
after winning a state lottery ticket. It rings false.

I think even Chris Wallace would fully acknowledge just
how reckless he is behaving. What critics are concerned
about are the long odds, not Vin Baker's potential to
succeed.

I really hope it works out, as a big Celtics fan.

This will be an interesting and exciting year. And yeah,
20 nationally televised games are not nearly enough. I'm
paying for all 82.

Joe

***

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.