Re: Rogers

In a message dated Mon, 22 Jul 2002 3:52:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, Bos3332@AOL.com writes:

> Now that it seems we won't resing Rogers is there anyway that we can work a
> sign and trade with one of the teams that want Rogers. Possibly try to trade
> him for a point gaurd? Any news on Songalia is he going to
> make the team?

The Raptors rescinded their qualifying offer today to Keon Clark and he is now available. They reportedly would entertain sign and trade offers. Reading between the lines of the Toronto paper's article, FA money has all but dried up and I would not entirely rule out the possibility that Rodney won't be back until it's absolutely a done deal if and when he signs somewhere else. Toronto also just picked up Lindsey Hunter from the Lakers for Tracy Murray. he has two years left on his deal They also have Alvin Williams but he has a HUGE contract and is signed for a ridiculous number of years.

How about a three way and try to pry Travis Bbest out of Chicago in a sign and trade? Jeff McInnis is still out and about as a FA, too. He made chump change last year playing for the Clippers.

      http://tsn.ca/NBA/readstory.asp?Story_ID=2433846

                    Raptors bid adieu to Clark

 (Jul 22) TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Raptors rescinded their qualifying offer to Keon Clark on Monday, making the lanky centre an unrestricted free agent and almost surely ending his two-year stay with the team.

Clark's departure became probable after the NBA announced last week that the salary cap would fall to $40.2 million US instead of the anticipated $42 million US.

That left the Raptors little room to pay Clark more than the $2 million US he earned last season under his rookie contract. The Raptors had the right to recall their $3 million US qualifying offer to Clark before Tuesday and when it appeared that Clark would accept it, they cut him loose Monday.

The Raptors, who have a payroll of just under $52 million US, are hoping to avoid paying the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, which is expected to kick in at about $50 million US.

Clark, who averaged 11.3 points and 7.4 rebounds last season, was expected to command much more this year. Starting power forwards in the league average $8.2 million US a year.

``With the announcement of a decrease in the league's salary cap for next season, it is critical that we put together the best possible team now while maintaining flexibility to also improve along the way within the framework of the luxury tax,'' Glen Grunwald, the Raptors general manager, said in a statement. ``Although it's unlikely, rescinding the offer to Keon does not preclude us from re-signing him, or working out a sign-and-trade with another team.''

As a restricted free agent, Clark could receive contract offers from other teams, but the Raptors retained the right to match. As an unrestricted free agent, Clark is free to sign with any team.

``We appreciate the contributions he has made to our organization, and this will enable him to pursue the best possible opportunity without being encumbered by being a restricted free agent,'' said Grunwald.

Clark - a six-foot-11, 221-pounder who could play both power forward and centre - said he wanted to remain a Raptor, but wouldn't accept a paycut to stay in Toronto.

He did appreciate being cut loose by Grunwald so early in the free agent season.

``He's saying he couldn't do anything with me so he go ahead let me go before everyone gets signed up,'' said Clark. ``I respect him for that. He said he was going to do everything in his power at the beginning of this process. I thought he was just taking his time so everybody was getting their money, but nobody has any money to spend. So, I was really at the bottom of the barrel when it came to that position.''