Re: Baker

At 01:36 PM 7/19/02 -0400, James A. Hill wrote:
Sundov signed for playing time.  If he does well he gets his big pay day
next year.  He wouldn't get to play in Indiana.

Historically, the Celtics have spent the money to win when they had the main
players to build around.  Other FA's wanted to come and play with Bird
etc...
Sure, I know all this. But the historical bit is meaningless because that was long ago and this isn't the same management as in the Bird etc era when FA could be sure the priorities were basketball first and so the money would be there, along with a reasonable chance of winning. And this management has been very public about the fact that their priorities are different, beyond any chance of misunderstanding.

I also understand why Sundov came here. He could have gotten playing time on other teams too. We offer the chance of that and maybe a bit of success to go with it based upon this past year, which is based upon our two young stars.

As I said, I would have agreed more with your implication about them before this summer, but I really don't think it's the same sort of factor this year. Especially as Walker especially has shown himself to be less of a ballhog and more willing to be a leader/team player as they have started to climb up out of the NBA gutter.

Cs press conference at 5 for anyone who hasn't heard BTW.

Kim