Sonics daily scribe on Feburary 2

Baker's scoring rebirth spurs trade interest
February 2, 2002  Print it

Even a strained left shoulder has hardly slowed down Vin Baker's low-post
scoring this season. Although the 6-11 power forward hasn't been able to help
Seattle solve its rebounding troubles, Baker is having his best offensive
season in three years.

Before the injury on Jan. 24, Baker was among the league leaders in
field-goal accuracy. And he entered the weekend shooting 49.1 percent.

It's a stark contrast to last season, when Baker averaged career lows in
scoring average (12.2 points) and shooting (42.2 percent) while coming off
the bench.

The biggest reason for Baker's improvement is a focus on scoring in the
paint, after prodding from coach Nate McMillan early this season.

Instead of relying on his jumper -- a bad habit over the past two seasons --
Baker fights harder to get in the paint.

"This team needs a low-post presence, and I've got to be it," Baker said. "So
I can't settle for jump shots. I have to get as deep as I can. Coach McMillan
and I talked in Boston (on Nov. 9), and that's the way it's been.

"I'm not relying on jump shots or fadeaways. So as long as I do that, I'll
keep the percentage up."

McMillan said: "He's still a guy that likes to step out and shoot the jump
shot. That's a part of his game. I don't want to take that away from him. But
for us to have any success, he needs to establish a low-post game. Hopefully,
he'll continue to stay down in the post."

Baker's success has forced opponents to double-team him, which helps
Seattle's perimeter players get open looks. The last time a team used single
coverage on Baker, he responded with 32 points against Cleveland on Jan. 11.

"I feel right now that if I'm not double-teamed, and I'm in the paint I'm
going to score," Baker said.

So where was all this last season?

"There was a lot of things," Baker said. "It was a bad situation not knowing
if I was going to be here. The coach is giving me more touches this year.

"Obviously, I was coming off the bench, which was a different thing for me.
And I've made my mind to get as deep as I can. My jumper is now a second
thought." . . .

Desmond Mason will defend his slam-dunk title on February 9 during the
All-Star festivities in Philadelphia.

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS

Point guard: Earl Watson has found himself back in the rotation after two
weeks of mostly sitting because he apparently hit the rookie wall. Watson
brings uncanny defense, floor leadership and sneaky athleticism to Seattle's
backcourt. Grade: B

Shooting guard: Desmond Mason has turned into one of Seattle's better
rebounders despite standing 6-5. Mason doesn't let his smaller frame keep him
from crashing the boards, realizing that his team needs every rebound it can
muster. Mason's outside jumper has been inconsistent, but the second-year
player continues to have a strong season. Grade: B+

Small forward: Vladimir Radmanovic continues to tease the Sonics with flashes
of brilliance mixed with boneheaded mistakes. The 6-10 small forward keeps
himself from receiving extensive minutes because of a penchant for unforced
turnovers. But the Sonics realize the best way for Radmanovic to overcome the
typical rookie characteristic is to get experience in real games. Grade: C+

Power forward: When Baker sits, the Sonics suddenly find their shots more
difficult to take and make. Because of a resurgent offense, Baker's presence
forces teams to double-team him. It frees up players like Rashard Lewis and
Brent Barry, who normally have trouble creating their own shots. Baker's
contributions have an asterisk, however, because of his poor rebounding.
Seattle is one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA partly because Baker
doesn't do a good enough job on the boards. Grade: B

Center: Jerome James could be an X-factor for the Sonics. The 7-1 center is
capable of being another low-post threat for a team sorely lacking in that
area. Since his return, however, James has picked up too many cheap fouls,
forcing him to the bench before he works up much of a sweat. And lately,
James has suffered from back spasms. Grade: C+

Bench: The roller coaster involving Shammond Williams and Watson continues
with Watson back to being the first point guard off the bench. When the
Sonics need outside shooting and quick points off the bench, Williams is the
man. For defense and floor leadership, it's Watson. Mason remains the first
player off the bench. And depending on matchups, forward Radmanovic or center
James will see time. Grade: C+

Coaching: The Sonics lost two straight home games in close, frustrating
fashion. They were the types of games Seattle had squeaked out recently on
one of the best road trips in recent memory. One reason is McMillan's
rotations didn't panned out in close losses to Portland and Sacramento. The
coach looks like a genius when they do, but when his younger players don't
execute down the stretch, the rotations can lead to losses and
second-guessing. Grade: B

INJURY REPORT

C Calvin Booth: Sprained right ankle (Dec. 12)
Analysis: Booth had his walking boot removed. But Booth won't be examined or
cleared to practice until after the All-Star break.

TRADING PROSPECTS

When the Sonics made the unusual announcement they would try trading Baker
last summer, the interest was similar to that for a dot-bomb company. Now the
power forward is having his best season since being an All-Star during
1997-98. And Baker's value has shot up, spurring calls to the Sonics from
several Eastern Conference teams, specifically the Knicks, Pacers and
Celtics.

Seattle must decide whether Baker's return as one of the best-shooting big
men in the NBA is long lasting, or whether to unload the rest of his $87
million deal that expires in 2006.

Seattle's other trade possibility is Williams, who possesses enough offensive
skills to average 20 points in the NBA. For the past two seasons, Williams
has languished on the bench because of reasons ranging from basketball style
to injuries.

Williams is finally getting playing time after sitting behind Watson for most
of the season. Is it a coincidence that the trading deadline is less than a
month away? Whatever the case, teams can see Williams' talent first hand.

And Seattle must decide if the combination guard is too good to unload. (If
Williams is dealt, the deal would likely also involve another Sonic because
Williams has a relatively small contract.)

For more news on the Sonics, visit the Seattle Times at
www.seattletimes.com/sports.