More on Baker and the Celtics (from the Seattle P-I)

First, if anyone went to the summer league game last night, could they post
some thoughts to the list? Thanks. Now, on to my worst nightmare...

I'm stunned that this is about to happen. Vin Baker? Are you KIDDING me? A
couple of things to note from this story:

1.	The line about the Celtics "trying to force" the Sonics to take
Forte. Guess that tells us what the Celts think about Forte.
2.	On the optimistic side (there really isn't a positive side, but for
the glass-is-half-full types...): Note Baker's production against the
Eastern Conference last year (at the bottom of the article).

Vin Baker has the kind of contract that should require a sweetener. In other
words, the Sonics should have to give up some real talent just to get rid of
it. I'm talking Radmanovic or Desmond Mason. Unfortunately, the sweetener
appears to be Shammond Williams or Earl Watson. Ugh. Let's hope at least for
an unprotected first-round pick.

Here is the story:

The Sonics are talking to Boston about a trade that would send forward Vin
Baker to the Celtics, according to multiple NBA sources.
The teams reportedly have discussed a deal that would send center Vitaly
Potapenko and guard Kenny Anderson to Seattle for Baker. No deal has been
reached, and other players could become involved.
The policy of Sonics executives is not to discuss trades, and general
manager Rick Sund said he wouldn't talk about it last night.
But sources say there have been discussions about exchanging Baker,
Seattle's most effective inside scorer, for a pair of players who won't
provide much immediate help, but would provide future payroll flexibility.
Potapenko underwent knee surgery in May, and Anderson plays point guard, a
position filled by Gary Payton -- one of the league's elite players. Seattle
has also set re-signing backup point guard Earl Watson as a priority this
off-season.
The trade would be more notable for what the Sonics would lose, rather than
anything they would gain. Baker's contract has four years remaining, and he
will be paid $12.375 million next season. Anderson's contract has one year
remaining, and though he will be paid $9 million next season, there is no
obligation after that.
In NBA bookkeeping terms, the deal would create the possibility of clearing
room under the salary cap after next season. If the Sonics traded for
Anderson and chose not to re-sign him, they would have more money available
to pursue free agents when players like Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal and Tim
Duncan are available.
But the long-term advantage of clearing cap room would come at a short-term
cost for the Sonics, who made the playoffs last season. They would lose
Baker's post presence and Anderson, 31, would be added to a backcourt where
Payton is the unquestioned star and minutes are already so scarce, Shammond
Williams has asked to be traded.
Baker, 30, averaged 14.1 points last season, and his scoring average has
exceeded 15 points in only one of the past four seasons, but he was the
team's second-leading rebounder last season at 6.4 per game. Only Rashard
Lewis' average (7.0) was higher.
The Sonics were last in the Western Conference in rebounding last season,
and there are no indications the team will address that need by adding a
free agent, since the emphasis is on re-signing Lewis and Watson, now that
Jerome James has agreed to a contract.
Potapenko, 27, is a 6-10 center whose status is questionable after
undergoing surgery to repair a torn knee ligament in May. It was estimated
it would take six to eight months after surgery before Potapenko could play
again. He was injured during the final game of the regular season.
Potapenko was drafted by the Cavaliers in 1996 and traded to Boston during
the lockout-shortened season of 1999. He is scheduled to make $5.24 million
in 2002-03, and his six-year contract has three seasons remaining. He hasn't
started more than 10 games in either of the past two seasons. He averaged
4.6 points and 4.4 rebounds last season, his lowest averages for the past
four seasons.
The Celtics may also try to force the Sonics to take Joseph Forte, who spent
most of his rookie season on the injured list.
Baker has played five seasons with the Sonics, but never improved on his
first season in Seattle, when he averaged 19.2 points and 8 rebounds. The
low point was 1999, the lockout-shortened season, when his weight went up
and his scoring average dropped to 13.8. His weighty contract became the
focus that summer when he signed a seven-year contract that totaled $86.6
million. During contract negotiations, Baker stated that playing for the
Celtics would be a top consideration.
"It's always been a dream of mine to come back (to New England) and don the
Celtic green," Baker, from Old Saybrook, Conn., told the Boston Globe in
1999. "So we'll see what can we do. Seattle is right up there, too, and I've
had some good times there and it's been a great city. But, obviously, coming
home and closing out my career right up the street would be great."
EAST VS. WEST
Sonics forward Vin Baker scored 19 or more points in 12 of his 18 games
against Eastern Conference teams. He reached that mark only seven times in
37 games against Western Conference teams.
	West	East
Points per game	12.5	17.3
Rebounds per game	6.2	6.6