Vin Baker etc.

Vin Baker is only 31 this year, but he has four full
seasons left at approx. 50 million guaranteed.

I personally don't believe one iota of the published
report that Gaston refuses to take one season's hit worth
of luxury tax to offer Rodney Rogers more than one
million. That's saying he's not worth two million to the
Boston franchise in salary and total taxes. Gaston's
signed bigger checks than that to ink Randy Brown or
Calbert Cheaney.

Yet we're supposed to believe he'll allow Chris Wallace
to add a 50 million contract (Vin Baker)from a team so
desperate to trade him that they'll even accept an aging
high strung point guard in return (to benchwarm for Gary
Payton)?

Again, I don't think I'm being stubborn in categorically
refusing to believe Gaston would actually do this, or
that Chris Wallace would so totally wimp out of taking a
stand when his greatest trade get sabotaged over chump
change.

It doesn't add up, given the facts:

1) The Celtics raised ticket prices in the offseason. Huh?
2) The Celtics announce a profit and their stock also
performs well in a bear market.
3) The new cap and luxury tax benchmarks come in lower
than expected, meaning the Celtics and every other team
are over it anyway, regardless. It amounts to a non-
issue. All teams are in the same boat.
4) The Celtics become conference finalist.
5) As much as we like to portray him that way, Gaston
simply isn't THAT cheap. He paid for Healthpoint, he paid
for Pitinochio. I could vaguely understand if he opposed
going over the cap to sign unproven talents on a yearly
35 win team. But I ALWAYS assumed he would pay to support
a winner, just like his dad did. I think we all assumed
this.

It doesn't add up.

As to the merits of re-signing Rodney Rogers during
this "Filene's Basement" offseason opportunity, my views
are subjective but they are as follows:

1) Give Rodney twenty minutes per game and he'll get you
double figures, as shown in 8 years of stats. That's what
made him a 6th Man of the Year, and a potential repeat
threat next year now that he's on a winning team. If you
converted any of half of last year's NBA starters into
bench players, the vast majority would fail to perform
that simple task (give you ten points in twenty minutes).

2) Not only is this a specialized skill, Rodney
accomplishes it within the flow of the offense and
without forcing shots (what a positive contrast to the
rest of the Celtics), as born out by his high 2-point AND
3-point FG% year after year. His career stats are as
consistent as those of Robert Parish, the most
statistically consistent player I've ever seen.

2) Deep playoff teams need a dependably consistent double
figure scorer on the bench. Its fine to have a guy who
does it every other game, or has "the raw talent" to
score 20 at any given time. But is that the same thing?
Like I said, it is a specialized skill.

3) Not only can Rodney play small forward and center, he
can actually guard small forwards and centers.
Defensively, no team was able to exploit the purported
size mismatches (he "plays big" as they say). Rogers did
just as well guarding "Scoreless" Williamson as Dikimbe.
He was almost the Cedric Maxwell of our playoff run.

Guys, Rodney WILL sign in Boston. Boston fans do care
about the Celtics and they are NOT going to stand for
Thanks Dad and Pond Scum doing this on a conference
finalist with the 7th lowest payroll in the league last
year.

Nor will you likely see Rodney's three-million-per-year
contract traded to pick up long term albatross contracts
like those of Croshere and Vin Baker. It makes no
financial sense, it is risky. It is just plain stupid and
managerially incompentent. Not very pennywise.

It is not going to happen. I honestly believe this.

At the level of money we are talking about, it is a
steal.

Rest easy. I've fallen for dumb rumors in the past, but
this one takes the cake.

Joe H.

***
L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.