RE: responses to ravi, gene, etc.

My apologies on cross posting. My bad. Thanks for the response.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of Kim Malo
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 10:18 AM
To: 'celtics list'
Subject: RE: responses to ravi, gene, etc.

At 09:07 AM 7/17/02 -0700, Ravi Singh wrote:
>It amazes me to no end what people think they read.

Yup. However, pot/kettles BTW, given your response question on Bremer
below.

>  It was never said
>that  failing to gush all over Cook meant that someone didn't know what

>a point guard was supposed to do. It was said that Cook possessed some
>outstanding pure point guard skills and if one couldn't  see them then
>they didn't understand much about the position. Those are two entirely
>different statements.

Entirely different, no, although perhaps not identical - since that is
merely tacking a bit of hyperbole (as you also seemed to be doing) with
the
word 'gush' onto the underlying theme of what you were saying: if Cook
didn't impress someone then it's gotta be because they don't understand
the
position (vs Omar just not being real impressive). I also noted that
Cook
did show some skills.

>Kim what did Bremer show you that Cook didn't?

Basically what  said - maturity. Bremer seemed to have a better
understanding of his role (which I'd be the first to admit is not the
one
that we've been lead to believe Cook could fill) and to make less
mistakes
is all. The good old playing within himself thing. I certainly didn't
say
Bremer impressed me to any degree any more than I said Cook was a
complete
negative. *shrug* I was at court level behind the Washington bench and
maybe that difference in perspective over TV view emphasized some of
this
to me.

>The reason why Cook will not make it in Boston is because he is pure
>point guard and requires the ball in his hands.  With the ball in his
>hands he has the potential to make those around him better.  However,
>on the Celtics, the coaching staff would rather have Pierce and Walker
>running the offense with the point guard being nothing more than a
>shooter once he delivers the ball to the co-captains.

Now this I think is nonsense. Never understood a tendency here and
elsewhere by people to decide they know what the staff is thinking/doing

outside the public eye and that it's always something wrong and stupid.
Clearly exactly what the Cs do need is a floor general type point guard
rather than another shooter. I've seen Tony Delk run the offense and it
wasn't pretty. And I also note that the coaching staff didn't go out of
their way to make sure he got as many opportunities as possible to do so

beyond necessity. While a lot of my whole post was about how that's
exactly
what Cook didn't do - make those around him better. Lord knows there was

room for improvement.

>No doubt Cook is more about POTENTIAL. He is NOT a polished player yet
>as has been stated by me and many others on numerous occasions.  But
>there is great potential.

Which is fine, but people can and do say that about a ton of guys
without
going so far as to say the many things he might be but is not now mean
you
don't understand the position he's supposed to play. Especially common
with
would be point guards and big guys whose best asset is their height.

He can handle, he can pass, defense is at best fair, and decision making

needs a lot of work, while leadership needs even more. The last two are
what make teammates better and are the sort of things I expect to see
more
signs of with a PG who gets the sort of comments Cook's had in the past.

BTW, isn't it a bit unfair/bad netiquette to crosspost this to a list I
don't belong to (the yahoo group) without even asking?

Kim