Dee Kantner gone at last...

ESPN reported that NBA ref Dee Kantner was fired. She says she's "stunned" and refutes the grading system that ranked her the worst official in the league last season.

She may have something there--I'd have bet money that Violet Palmer was worse.

I do feel badly, though. I don't care what gender the refs are, so long as they're good. Unfortunately, in a season replete with blatant incompetence, the two women failed to even rise above that lot.

Odds are, Dee will sue. Furthermore, she's likely to get one of two things when she does--1. her job back, 2. a lot of money, or 3. both.

It would have made more of an impression, I believe, had the NBA fired a half-dozen of their worst and made it clear to the rest that given their level of ability last year, we could get guys from the World Cup and see some improvement. Perhaps that would have given them an incentive to do better.

So, fear not that Gaston has decided to treat the Celtics like the stock market and withhold investing any serious money. The low quality of the NBA refs are going to ensure the C's don't get anywhere near the playoffs anyway. I'm beginning to think that is somehow, Sid Borgia magically walked onto the court, Red Auerbach would throw a party and Tom Heinsohn would be raising a toast to Sid. :>)))

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle