RE: Damon Jones

You may very well be right, Joe, but I'm not as confident. The story in the
Herald today reinforced the "no luxury tax, no exceptions" train of thought,
and it seems to me anything over that initial $1 million offer puts the
Celts in luxury tax territory. It just sounds like an offer of half of a
team's mid-level exception probably would be enough to price Rogers out of
the Celtics' plans.

The reason some of us connect Sundov to Rogers isn't that we see them as
comparable players-just similar in that Sundov is an outside-shooting backup
center. If Rogers isn't re-signed, Sundov brings the same gimmick to the
backup center spot (although far less effectively, in whole).

Anyway, we'll see. You're right that the market looks awfully tight. But
there are teams spending out there. Minnesota is offering Devean George its
full mid-level exception. Philly is close to a fairly significant deal with
Greg Buckner (which is good for the Celts because it would seem to take the
Sixers out of the Rogers hunt). Detroit inked Billups to pretty big money.
Everyone is waiting to make the best deal possible, but teams like the Heat
and Grizz have openly said they'll be taxpayers. They're willing to pay.
Same with the Knicks. Rodney is waiting for some dominoes to fall to see
which tax-paying team might have an interest.

Who knows? But it certainly hasn't been an encouraging offseason to this
point.

Mark