Re: Tinsley/Croshere for Kenny

I really don't believe this rumor. The Pacers aren't in the habit of giving
away young talent, and I've never read anything about them being
dissatisfied with Tinsley. I don't believe they'd be so desperate to get rid
of Croshere that they'd give up Tinsley to do it. From the Celtics' end,
instead of getting rid of Kenny's contract after next season, they basically
keep it on the books in the form of Croshere and Tinsley. This is the
biggest reason I don't buy it. I think the Celtics value that salary relief
too much (notice I didn't say cap relief, because Kenny's contract alone
won't get them significantly under the cap).

Having said that, what if it's true?

It's certainly not without risks. Croshere's contract is ugly if he performs
like he did last season. But I happen to think he was the victim of Isiah's
incompetence. The guy didn't turn into a bad player overnight. He's probably
not going to blossom into the star so many hoped for after his play against
the Lakers in the Finals two years ago, but I still think he can be a
valuable frontcourt reserve at three positions. He brings many of the same
skills as Rogers, including the ability to play the center spot and hit the
three. If he can contribute at that level, his contract isn't so bad. The
Celtics certainly could turn it over in another deal if Croshere panned out
that well. As far as salary risks go, Croshere doesn't seem too bad-he's
young, healthy and by all accounts a hard worker. This isn't Vin Baker or
Keith Van Horn we're talking about.

Tinsley, of course, would solve the point guard problem. He's not Jason
Kidd, but he's a poor man's Jason Kidd. Think a young Mark Jackson. He makes
other people better. He's rugged. I remember I wasn't high on him at all
coming out of Iowa State, but I couldn't have been more wrong. He's a true
point guard-the rarest of rarities. No, he doesn't shoot the outside shot
well. Neither does Kidd. The rest of the package is so much more important
(provided the coaches let him do his thing and don't reduce him to a spot-up
shooter). Let's face it, Tinsley is the point guard we all dream Omar Cook
could become.

On the floor, it boils down to Kenny and Rogers for Tinsley and Croshere.
You get younger and better at point guard and younger and comparable at the
F/C spots. The salary issue is the biggest concern. It would seem to keep
the Celtics in luxury tax territory beyond next season-something they don't
have to worry about right now.

I'd do it in a heartbeat and subtract salary later-dumping
Vitaly/Forte/Ewill at the first opportunity. Maybe Delk.

Let's hope there's more to it than just talk.

Mark