Re: It doesn't sound good on Rogers...

Paul, you're right that I overstated it by saying they blew it. They haven't
blown it yet. But, the earlier stories indicated Rogers was willing to sign
right away if the Celts made a legit offer. Otherwise, they were going to
test the market. When I say the Celtics "blew it" what I should have said is
they blew their chance to get this done before it got competitive. Now, it
sounds like he's going to the highest bidder. I'll be surprised if that is
Boston.

As for the "focusing" thing... They said Strick and Blount are Nos. 2 and 3
on the free agent priority list. So, yes, while they wait on Rogers, I take
it to mean they're focusing on Strick and Blount. It didn't just say they
were Nos. 2 and 3 on the teams own free agent list. It said they were Nos. 2
and 3 on the list. I take that to mean they'd rather re-sign Strick and
Blount than look outside the current roster. I think that's a mistake.
Remember, it seemed that either Strick or Delk got minutes. Rarely both of
them. That's a luxury at a position the Celts can't afford to waste on
luxuries. And Blount... well, he's the Shaq of the Shaw's.

Anyway, I thought the news was bad on all fronts.

Mark

--- --- ---

Paul M. wrote:

"They blew it," as in, "He's gone?" Mark.....I'm no genius but why not see
what other people are offering and just offer him a little more? Why come in
with an offer that might be a lot higher than anything he might get from
another team? Do you actually think the guy was just going to take Boston's
first offer without looking around? Wouldn't you look around to see who
comes up with the most cash?

AND...

They're "focusing" on these guys? Here's the quote from the article:

>Today, he will begin conversations about contract numbers with
> the representatives of Erick Strickland and Mark Blount, who stand Nos. 2
> and 3 on the team's free agent priority list.

"Beginning conversations" isn't exactly the same as focusing. I assume
they're signing Rogers first and seeing what they have left. There's a long
way to go here.