Re: It doesn't sound good on Rogers...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> Here's Shira Springer's story on yesterday's negotiating session with
> Rogers' agent. It doesn't sound good at all. There are two points in this
> story that I really don't like: 1. The Celts are letting Rogers hit the
> market. Their best chance was to get him locked up quickly. They blew it.

"They blew it," as in, "He's gone?" Mark.....I'm no genius but why not see
what other people are offering and just offer him a little more? Why come in
with an offer that might be a lot higher than anything he might get from
another team? Do you actually think the guy was just going to take Boston's
first offer without looking around? Wouldn't you look around to see who
comes up with the most cash?

> They're focusing now on Strickland and Blount. Ugh. The team just doesn't
> need Strick. It's simple numbers. And Blount can't play. So they're
wasting
> the little available funds they have on two guys they really don't need.

They're "focusing" on these guys? Here's the quote from the article:

>Today, he will begin conversations about contract numbers with
> the representatives of Erick Strickland and Mark Blount, who stand Nos. 2
> and 3 on the team's free agent priority list.

"Beginning conversations" isn't exactly the same as focusing. I assume
they're signing Rogers first and seeing what they have left. There's a long
way to go here.

Paul M.