Reverse psychology.

   Why is it such a puzzle to figure out what happened to Joe Johnson's game
and why Joe Forte can't get on the floor? I was scratching my head over this
and traced back to Shaw's, when JJ was pretty much the best player on the
floor and getting rave reviews, while earning the starting spot that he
opened the season with.
   What do I remember most from Shaw's? I remember a moribund team, led by
Milt Palacio, having trouble scoring 60 points per game and all the players
standing on the perimeter, waiting for Milt to get the ball over mid-court
and find one of them for their designated heave. Next, I remember the C's
bringing in Khalid El-Amin and the offense starting to fire on all cylinders
and scoring in bunches and winning three of the last four games after having
lost the first two. Joe Johnson was running the wings, forwarding the ball
to the open man and having a ball in the open court. Forte was likewise,
moving without the ball and filling spaces, to either take the mid-range
jumper, or find a man closer to the basket. Even when Khalid was on the
bench, Joe Johnson ran the offense. Palacio became a spot up shooter, on the
wing and actually was pretty good there.
   The team was rejuvenated with a push it up, distributing point guard, who
allowed them to use their talents.
   Joe Johnson is not best utilized as a shooter from the corner. Get him on
the floor, out at the top of the key and running in transition and you will
see all of his marvelous talents on display again. Put him in the corner,
waiting for a bailout pass and you might as well put a dunce cap on him.
   Why won't they utilize a style of offense that showcases Forte's and
Johnson's skills (let alone Kedrick Brown)? I believe his name is Walker.
Antoine wants that spot on the outside of the offense. With Anderson and
Pierce already working from the middle of the floor there is just no room.
When you have your power forward taking up this space and firing threes, not
only don't you have the rebounding you need, but no post game and no wings
slashing to the hoop.
   There are so many things to like about Walker, don't get me wrong.  I
have no venom, when I say this: If you want to see the athleticism and open
court saavy of our rookies, it's time to trade our captain.  I'm not sure if
this will make us a better team or not, but I want to see a team that runs
in transition and passes the ball as a first option, not as a last resort.
Walker can do this, but he  won't do it consistently and again, he wants
that spot outside that should be reserved for a speedy slashing type player,
that Walker will never be, no matter how much he pines for it.
   Now may be the best time ever to do this. Walker is an All-Star, the C's
are in third place 9 games over .500. Grant from Miami. Wallace from
Portland. Brand from the Clippers.
   Do any of you really think we will win tonight, or finish the season,
even a few games over .500? I hope I eat my words tonight, but I see a
sinking ship. Don't blame the messenger, please. I'm no fair weather fan. If
The ship goes down, I'll be on it, but I've finally seen enough of Walker.
He's in shape, he has the game going his way and all he can do is hit
threes.

        JB

                  Unchain My Heart !