Re: Kenny vs. Tinsley

At 01:41 PM 1/24/2002, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
>Tinsley, a rookie, is averaging 10 points and 9 assists per game. He's
>shooting 37 percent, which is about what Toine shoots, but it only matters
>when it's someone else. That 37 percent comes on 10 shots per game, not 24.

I have to butt in here again. Mark, why can't you ever acknowledge the fact
that Walker shoots a billion three-pointers when comparing his FG%. I know,
"33% on 3's is not 50% on 2's" because of X and Y reasons, but it's far
worse to say that 33% on 3's is the same as 33% on 2's, which is basically
what you're implying every time you make these sorts of comparisons. Can we
agree that Antoine's 35.4% on 3's is not as good as if he shot 53% on 2's,
but that it's actually a good shooting percentage? That it's comparatively
better than his 41.3% on 2's (which I think everyone agrees is a bad
percentage).

Additionally, I think you'd agree that Tinsley shouldn't be throwing up
nearly 2 three-pointers per game given that he's shooting 19% from there.

I wonder about Tinsley myself, because although you've added this new point
guard who's averaging 9 assist per game, it seems like their team hasn't
improved one bit in winning percentage. In the meantime, the Celtics'
winning percentage has spiked upwards ever since O'Brien let Walker shoot
3's to his heart's desire. And the fact that Isiah Thomas puts him in the
starting lineup over Jalen Rose - if I recall correctly, don't you think
Isiah is one of the worst coaches in the league?

Alex