Re: Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh

Hm, so Way finds some West Coast writer who says that the Boston Celtics
are a good but not great team. That's supposed to upset us? I think just
about everyone on the list agrees with that - we're not Sacramento or the
Lakers - whoa, big surprise. And there's plenty of "sportswriting" in this
article - writing that wouldn't be accepted as journalism in any other
field. Really convincing stuff.

Here are some examples:

>Let's take Boston, for example. As solid as the Celtics have been this
>year, does anyone really believe this is one of the best teams in the
>league? Does anyone really think they'll be a factor in the postseason?
>
>If you do, you shouldn't.

Maybe if he means "factor in the championships." Eastern teams play Eastern
teams until the Finals, so even if five Western Conference teams would be
favored against them in such a matchup, that doesn't mean that they're "not
a factor." If all he's saying is that the Celtics are not championship
contenders, well, that's really controversial, isn't it?

And here's some typical sportswriting:

>If the Boston Celtics
>played the same schedule as a Western Conference team, they'd likely be
>around .500. Maybe.

I guess when you are a sportswriter, you can just casually state these
things and expect to have them accepted as fact. It wouldn't be that hard
to find the Celtics' conference records and extrapolate them to try to
justify this. But why bother when you're a sportswriter?

One initial stab at it: The Celtics are 17-11 (.607) in their conference
and 6-5 (.545) vs. the West. They play 28 games against the West and 54
against the East, I believe. If they were in the Western Conference, they'd
play 30 games against the East and 52 against the West. If you applied
their current winning percentages to the Western Conference schedule, you'd
get a 46.5 win team. (Currently if you project using conference totals,
they'd win 48 games. The differences in schedules isn't as significant as
might be imagined.)

>Their best player is Antawn Jamison, who has not proven he's in Pierce's
>class. But what about rookie Jason Richardson? If you surveyed the 29
>general managers, it's not a stretch to say most would prefer Richardson
>over Walker, if for no other reason than his potential upside.

I love this statement: IF you actually surveyed the 29 GMs, then "it's not
a stretch" to say something? What does that really mean? It's
sportswriter's code for "I think that..." Basically, "I have no evidence
but I'll try to get some credibility by association by making up quotes
from actual decision makers." Kind of like Way's "inside sources."

Let's just say in sportswriter terminology that, if you asked the author of
the article whether he actually watches the Celtics and whether he
predicted them to finish near the bottom of the Atlantic Division, it's not
a stretch that he doesn't and he did.

Alex