Q&A with Bostons Paul Pierce

http://basketballnews.com/content/nba/nba_set.asp?main=qanda_011702.asp

Q&A with Bostons Paul Pierce
Its taken some time, but Pierce finally is living up to expectations
Jan. 17, 2002
Everyone thought Kansas superstar Paul Pierce would develop into one of the top players in
the game. After being selected with the 10th overall pick in the 1998 draft, Pierce posted
solid numbers in his first two seasons but didnt seem to live up to the ultra-high
expectations that were placed on him. Last season, however, Pierce enjoyed a breakout
campaign that saw him average 25.3 points and 6.4 rebounds a game, and he finally seemed
to reach the level of NBA superstar. This year, Pierce and teammate Antoine Walker have
led a resurgence in Boston that has seen the Celtics become one of the contenders for the
Eastern Conference crown. Pierce is averaging 26.8 points and 6.8 rebounds, and he appears
to be a lock for the East All-Star team. Hes also been honored for his range by being
named as a participant in the NBAs three-point shootout that will take place All-Star
Saturday.
Basketball News listened in on Pierces NBA teleconference to find out what changes have
taken place in Boston, where he ranks among the leagues elite players and just how far
the Celtics can go this season.

Q: Have you added things to the arsenal this year?

Pierce: Its hard to say, because I think now that were winning, we get a lot of
attention. A lot of people are probably seeing some things they havent seen before, a lot
of things Ive been doing since I came into the league. The thing for me is to improve on
the things Im already doing well and become a smarter player and just learn the game each
and every year and become better at that.

Q: Other than the coaching changes, what are the big differences in Boston?

Pierce: With this years team, were a lot more talented than we were a year ago, even
though weve gotten younger with the addition of the rookies and a few guys that we picked
up. Were a lot more talented. Players are starting to understand their roles. Its very
hard for younger players to accept having roles. With Coach (Jim) OBrien, guys are really
understanding what role theyll serve game in and game out, and theyve accepted those
roles. Antoine (Walker) and I being veterans, we have a chance to lead this team, and
were improving each and every year, and I think thats the main part.

Q: With the coming of Martin Luther King Day this Monday, do you take time to reflect on
his impact and do enough guys in the NBA do the same?

Pierce: Thats something I think about every day, because I was once put in a life or
death situation, so it really doesnt take Martin Luther King for me to realize how
fortunate I am. I think for me to be where I am, he paved the way for a lot of us young
African-Americans to be in the position were in today and Im thankful for that. Its a
special month for me. But as far as realizing where Im at and how far Ive come to get
here, thats something I think about all the time, for the simple fact that I was put in a
life or death situation and I appreciate all these things that are given to me on a
day-to-day basis.

Q: Can you talk about playing with Antoine Walker and the honor of being named Co-Players
of the Month?

Pierce: Its definitely one of the great honors, to be named Player of the Month, meaning
that you were the top NBA player for a whole month. Thats a great honor. For us to be one
of the top teams in the East, for Antoine and I to be playing well, its one of the better
seasons, on an individual and team basis for both of us. I credit that to a lot of the
hard work that weve put in and the struggles weve had the last few years. Now were
starting to reap the fruits of our labor.

Q: What are your thoughts about participating in the Three-Point Shootout?

Pierce: You really have some great shooters in this field, and I was telling my teammates
its going to be tough on me because Im used to shooting with a hand in my face. I dont
know how Im going to react to just standing there and shooting the ball. But there are
some great shooters. There are guys not even in this competition that Im glad theyre not
in it  Dirk Nowitzki, Reggie Miller, Allan Houston. Maybe I have a chance to win it this
year.

Q: Do you really view yourself as a three-point shooter, or more of a scorer who can
shoot?

Pierce: I really dont look at myself as a three-point shooter, thats just a shot I have
and can make when Im in my rhythm. I look at myself as a scorer. I can score in a lot of
different ways and thats just one of them. Were going to wait and see what happens
All-Star Weekend.

Q: What do you think of your chances to be named an All-Star?

Pierce: I think I have a pretty good chance, as long as the team keeps winning and I keep
playing the way Im playing, I think Ill have a good chance because when you look at the
guys who make the All-Star team, theyre playing well and their team is doing well. As
long as we continue to win and Im helping to carry that load, I should have a good shot
at it, A year ago, I think I played well enough to make an All-Star team but our team was
struggling and so the guys who do play on winning teams have the best chance and I think
Im in a position to do that.

Q: Where do you rank yourself as a player in this league and where do you rate the
Celtics?

Pierce: Thats a tough question. You put me on the spot there. I say I can be one of the
top five or 10 players in the league at my position. Its one of the toughest positions in
the league when you talk about playing guard and forward, you play against some of the
better athletes night in and night out. As far as the team, I think right now we can be a
top 10 team, East and West combined, for the simple fact that you have two guys who are
possible All-Stars in Antoine and myself, and I think we have one of the better defenses
in the league, and were young and have the potential to probably be one of the top teams
in basketball.

Q: What has to happen for you guys to keep winning?

Pierce: We just have to stay focused, weve got to stay consistent, and stay away from the
injury bug. Thats very crucial, staying healthy, especially with this ball club. If we
can stay 100% throughout the season, I mean, youre going to have your nicks and bumps,
but if we can stay healthy for the most part, the skys the limit for us.

kevin lok
48-34