Dr. Jack on the Celtics' offense

I think the following answer by Jack Ramsay reiterates what has already
been said on the list at times, but it's good to hear it from the pro - and
someone who has close access to O'Brien's thinking too.

--

The Celtics are committed to throwing up threes regardless if they're
having a good or bad shooting night. I think they would have a better

Dear Gary,
The Celtics have to generate offense from a limited base. They are without
a great penetrator, have no real post-up threat -- 'Toine gets stuffed
trying to score from there -- and the big men (Tony Battie, Vitaly
Potapenko and Mark Blount) have no back-to-the-basket games. The 3-point
shot is a principal weapon for them. Coach O'Brien creates those shots with
a combination of screen and rolls on the ball, and a series of single and
double screens off the ball. I sometimes gasp at their shot selection --
especially Walker's -- but under the circumstances, it's a necessary part
of their offense. And, the bottom line is that they're winning.

--

It also illustrates what could greatly improve the Celtics' offense - a
low-post threat at the center position or (more realistically, probably) a

Alex