No Subject

These wins also, in my mind, reaffirm the fact that this team is at its best
when moving the ball and playing off of Toine and Pierce. Antoine was really
involving his teammates Friday, and everyone contributed. Antoine was
1-for-14, but made an impact on the game. I've seen him score his 20 points
many times but not affect the game as positively as he did Friday.

Having said that... seeing him out there in the fourth quarter of that
blowout, with an injured knee, and a game on the road the next night,
calling for the ball in order to pad his stats and get to double figures...
That's why some of us have problems with Antoine. Is he the only guy in the
NBA who cares about points? Of course not, but "everybody does it" wasn't an
acceptable excuse in grade school and it isn't now. When his thoughts should
have been on staying healthy and being fresh for the next night's game,
Antoine was worried about a meaningless streak of double-figure scoring
games. Some will say "Obie is the one who left him in the game..." Keep
telling yourselves that. Antoine was in that game for one reason-because
Antoine wanted to reach double figures. Obie went along.

The Herald article on Joe Johnson was interesting and raised the same
concerns some of us on-list have voiced. The fact that teammates and team
officials are being critical tells you they're concerned. Josh's suggestion
that JJ doesn't believe he can beat defenders off the dribble doesn't fit
for me. The guy was pegged this way coming out of college and that's why he
lasted until the 10th pick. This is why I'd try to make him the centerpiece
of a deal for a legit big man. Also, it sounds like some sort of
disciplinary action against Joe was the reason Strickland started Friday
night. Anyone have any insight? ... As for Kedrick... remember those "MVP of
practice" quotes? Now he can't get off the bench in 20-point blowouts. No
one wants to admit it, but his season has been Moiso-like. I'm not giving up
on him, but isn't anyone else seeing some red flags? Be honest.

Finally, we've heard all about the upcoming draft being the "year of the
point guard..." Well, here's an article addressing that from the Detroit
News. It looks at the top point guards in the upcoming draft. My thoughts on
some of them... Jason Williams is an incredible talent, but he's a
shoot-first guy and loves to take quick 3-pointers. Not my idea of a point
guard.... Frank Williams doesn't impress me. Big reputation, but very
inconsistent. Also a shoot-first guy, but doesn't shoot as well as Jason
Williams.... Troy Bell is another shoot-first guy. More athletic than Frank
Williams. Not really a distributor... Dajuan Wagner is another shoot-first
guy (noticing a trend?). Big-time scorer. Again, not especially
impressed.... Dan Dickau is small and doesn't seem especially creative with
the ball. Feels like a system guy. From Gonzaga, but he's no Stockton...
Chris Duhon I like a lot. He can score, but is very unselfish-the most
important trait for a PG. Has the handle and shot. Would like to see him
lead a team without having Jason Williams in the same backcourt. ... Maurice
Baker seems like a Wallace kind of guy. Very quick, good leaper, athletic.
Has to do a lot for his team. Haven't seen enough of him to have a good feel
for his PG nature. Seems reminiscent of Keyon Dooling, a guy Wallace loved.

Here's the link:
http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/pistons/0201/14/f04-390478.htm
<http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/pistons/0201/14/f04-390478.htm>

Mark