Walker's Knee Injury Not Serious

Subject: Walker's knee injury NOT serious
Date: Thu, Jan 10, 2002 5:36 PM
From: Eggcentric

Walker's Knee Injury Not Serious
BOSTON (Jan. 10, 2001) -- Antoine Walker underwent an MRI this morning on
his right knee at New England Baptist Hospital. Initial readings did not
indicate significant damage to the knee. He will continue to receive
treatment and is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game vs. Detroit.

Walker sustained an injury in the second half of the San Antonio game on
Wednesday night. He is still not sure what exact play caused the injury.
3I just twisted it,2 said Walker, who sat out practice on Thursday to
receive treatment. 3As long as it isn9t torn, then I am happy because it can
be treated. That is all that matters.2
3I can9t afford to have damage right now. I just have to get some treatment
and work through it. It is just an unfortunate that we have a back-to-back
situation, so I just have to try to suck it up for these two games and then
we have a few days off before we play New York.2
Walker has been on the NBA9s "iron men" since he came into the league in
1996. Currently among the top 10 in minutes per game, Walker has missed just
eight games out of a possible 411 in his NBA career.
He missed the final eight games of the 1998-99 season with an ankle sprain.
He also missed one game last year to attend the funeral of his grandmother.
Celtics Head Coach Jim O9Brien spoke to the media and commented after
hearing the initial reports on Walker9s injury.
3We have a situation where he more than anybody -- along with the medical
staff -- will have to determine how much rest he needs,2 said O9Brien.
3Knowing Antoine, he will want to play and play 45 minutes. But if he's
dragging his leg up the floor like Eric (Williams) was earlier this year? Do
we give it the necessary rest time to heal?
3We don9t know about tomorrow. We have no way of knowing.
3We have been blessed with good health this year. If Antoine can9t play,
then the guys who can will be ready to play. Eric would move into the
starting line up at the four.2
When asked about his decision to leave Walker in the game against the Spurs
on Wednesday night when it was apparent that he was in pain, O9Brien said:
3I asked him, 'What9s wrong?9 He said, My knee hurts.9 I said, Do you need
to come out?9 He said, No, I need to be in the game.9 You have to listen to
players. I am not a doctor and I don9t have an MRI or an x-ray machine
there, and if a guy tells you he can and wants to play, then generally
speaking that is what I will do.
3If I thought if he was incapable of contributing, I would have taken him
out. I watched it on tape today and it looked like he sucked it up and
played through the pain. I am never going to consciously do anything that is
going to affect the health of one of my players. But at the same time, he is
one of our two leaders and the game is on the line against one of the top
teams. I ask a man a question if he wants out. And he says 'I want to play,9
he is one of my leaders well I respected it.2