Re: Plenty of blood, plenty of fouls.

on 1/5/02 8:56 AM, Dan Forant at dforant1@nycap.rr.com wrote:

       JB;
The situation is futile this season because we have no one to trade. We
won't give up either Walker nor Pierce. Walker and Pierce have to come ready
to play every nite and someone else has to step up also. Don't look for KA
on a regular basis, or anyone else as a matter of fact.

DanF
        *********
   By futile, I presume you mean, acquiring another, inside player, without
having to give up one of ours, or by extension, not being able to compete
with the big, bruising teams.
   We won't win the championship, no doubt, but just because we were bullied
last night by Miami, I'm not going to concede the season as being "futile,"
nor even give up on the fantasy of acquiring the player, or two, that would
get us out of the East and at least, the date with the Lakers.
   There is talk that Marc Jackson of Golden State could be had for an
expiring contract and a draft pick.
   There was also talk, on draft night, that Portland was the team we
drafted Kedrick Brown for. If that is true, or at least there is still
interest in Portland (that ship is sinking fast), how many of our expiring
contracts and Kedrick, would it take to get Dale Davis? Let's ask "Real GM:"

       ********
Portland trades:     Dale Davis    $7,010,000    to Boston

Portland trades:     Erick Barkley    $765,600    to Boston

TOTAL:         $7,775,600
Boston trades:     Kedrick Brown    $1,528,440    to Portland

Boston trades:     Walter McCarty    $3,125,000    to Portland

Boston trades:     Roshown McLeod    $1,509,001    to Portland

Boston trades:     Milt Palacio    $690,000    to Portland

TOTAL:         $6,852,441

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Portland and Boston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is
invoked. Portland and Boston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of
the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here.
This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Portland would also receive a trade exception of $923,159 with this trade.
This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this
trade.

Be aware that this exception will be extinguished if the team which
possesses it falls below the cap by the combined amount of the exceptions it
currently possesses.

    This would be a miracle move. I know, we are all intoxicated with
Kedrick Brown, but as I see it, Joe Johnson is the better all around player,
to play with Walker and Pierce and with Paul and Eric Williams in tow, we
really will never have much time for Brown. We are taking a risk, yes; like
Philadelphia when it traded Stackhouse or Hughes, but less of one, because,
truth be told, Kedrick has shown little more to date, than Moiso did. Will
he always be a "human highlight film" or will he blossom into the nest
McGrady? I'd take that shot, to get a Dale Davis, who is only 28-29, I
believe.
   I threw in, Eric Barkley/ Milt Palacio, because I am shrill and insistent
that we get a back up point guard.
   The trade also gives up three roster players for two, so we can get Joe
Forte, who I think can be useful, now, as he is a poised, basketball savvy
player, off the DL. This also opens a roster spot, in case we need it, later
in the season, as Wallace was trying to tell us, was the reason he didn't
sign Khalid El-Amin, this summer (then went out and signed Herren anyway-God
forbid they take on a point guard, who can actually pass and run, at the
same time).
   Besides strengthening us at our two weakest positions, this trade may
also catch a light in Jimmy O'Brien's eye, to use some more flexible
lineups. Why not a big unit with Walker at the three, to combat the Miami's
and Utah's of the league? A two point guard tandem, against pressing,
trapping defenses? A quick unit, to run the floor against older and less
mobile teams?
   By balancing the roster and sending off some of our useless baggage,
there may be a lot of things we can do, against the different looks we will
get, from the better teams, with the better coaches, as we get into the
playoffs.
   Go C's.

              JB

                           Unchain My Heart!