Read It and Weep

      The Celtics Report, Featuring Joe Johnson
      By: Josh Ozersky
      February 22 2002, 11:07 pm
      Joe Johnson Line for Friday, Feb. 22

      11-18, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 turnovers. Put this down with "Paul
Pierce stabbed in bar"and "ML Carr to name himself as coach" among my favorite
Celtic memories of recent years.

      I never come out and say Celtics news is a disaster -- but this is a
disaster for the franchise. Worse than the Potapenko pick, which at least
supplied a scarce long-term asset in a semi-skilled, fundamentally sound,
powerful young big man. Far worse the Billups trade, which at least was made
in good faith. (Boston thought they were getting a top-ten point guard.) I
don't know if it's ever happened in Boston history -- a young player as
obviously talented, skilled, and selfless as Johnson traded away this early in
his career. I can hardly believe it has happened. This guy was as pass-first
as a point guard, could pass and shoot off the dribble, had forward size and
the handle of a six-footer, effortless speed, and was completely cerebral in
his approach to the game. He couldn't flourish in a freakishly stagnant,
ill-formed offense that would have stymied Magic Johnson, so we traded him
away. To some salary cap space.

      How could this have happened? Each day that goes by makes me more
incredulous, more overwhelmed and depressed. The Celtics should have a fan
appreciation night where they give out Xanax at the door. Or maybe a portrait
of a Celtic "dream team" of Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Shawn Marion, Andre
Miller, and Joe Johnson, with Larry Bird coaching. Alright, capitano! I'm
ready. Fire at will.