Dr. Jack's evaluation of the trade

I think we all can agree that Ramsay brings a little more insight than the
average analyst considering his relationship with O'Brien. The interesting
points: He clearly says they were down on Joe Johnson; and he says Delk may
start at shooting guard. That last part scares the hell out of me. A
backcourt of Kenny and Delk? And then you're bringing Kedrick, whose
strengths at this point are defense, running the floor and rebounding, off
the bench? Doesn't it seem like a better fit to have Kedrick in that
starting role, filling in around Pierce and Walker, with Delk coming in off
the bench to provide offense? Oh well. We'll see.

Here you go. Mark

The Celtics needed more fire power to supplement the scoring of Paul Pierce
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3253>  and Antoine
Walker <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3112> , and
they got it with the acquisition of Rogers and Delk. Both are double-digit
scorers, have three-point range and are accustomed to coming off the bench
-- although coach Jim O'Brien may stick Delk into the starting lineup at
two-guard and move Pierce to small forward.
The Celts' principal loss is Johnson, in whom their high confidence level
had dimmed because of JJ's nonchalant attitude. He may be a good one yet.
But for the present, the deal is a good one for Boston as it prepares for
the stretch run toward the playoffs.
The other Boston players in the deal -- Brown (injured for all but one game
this season) and Palacio (limited playing time behind Kenny Anderson
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=393>  and Erick
Strickland <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3140> ) --
won't be missed. The Celts also gave up this year's first-round draft pick,
which, because of budget concerns, they wouldn't have signed anyway. The
deal enables Boston to free up some cap space to sign free agents, like
Rogers and Strickland.
Phoenix gave up two quality players, but since it appears the Suns are out
of the playoff race anyway, they are looking more to the future. They got a
promising young player, Johnson. While neither Brown nor Palacio will see
much if any service, the Suns got that first-round draft pick, which has
some conditions surrounding it. Another factor influencing the deal for the
Suns was that they felt they wouldn't be able to re-sign free agent Rogers
at the end of the season.