Nice trade but no need for JJ dis

I know we enjoy going the extra mile to justify a trade
that already stands well enough on its own merits. But I
don't think the Joe Johnson dissing is very smart. Its
seems like the sober truth on JJ is that he remains a
talented prospect who can guard good players.

Its unlikely too that his dribbling, passing, shooting
etc. will all vanish now that he's about to reach the age
of 21.

But, wait, he's a wallflower. And its congenital....

Certainly that fact makes me feel a lot better, believe
me.

Unfortunately, I can imagine on the "learning curve" how
someone's game can temporarily come apart when playing
within a designated-gunners system like Boston's. The
Celtics have a very specific star system, even by NBA
team standards.

Most of us have probably been on ball hog, pecking order
type teams where you might start second guessing yourself
if you handle the ball for any longer than two seconds. A
player can fall into that funk all the more when they are
much younger and less developed than the
established "stars".

So next thing you know, the creativity and daring
deteriorates and the player needs to make that important
gut check e.g. stay aggressive even if the coach and the
stars are staring a hole through you every time you
dribble.

The way Joe Johnson released his pent up frustrations in
the rookie game might be akin to how a miscast
benchwarmer might do the same thing in a co-ed inter-dorm
game or whatever. JJ jacked up a lot of shots even if he
wasn't hot, and ended up one of the best guys out there.

Obviously, there haven't been many minutes of PT since
then. In that sense, we still really don't know what we
have (er, had) in Johnson. Everyone goes through that gut
check and the process of figuring out one's role in a
system.

Strickland and EWill are older, wilier and frankly less
talented, so they play aggressive offense, ultimately to
the tune of 35% shooting. They'll dribble and attack
because its programmed into their survival instinct as
veterans. You either make plays during your limited
playing time or you don't play.

Some people seem convinced Joe Johnson might never get
it.  But if he ever gets it, make no mistake he's a
talented package.

Don't worry, JJ's life ambition is to be mediocre and
never play to his skill level.

Well my feeling is that we don't have to go there. This
was a "win" trade in light of what we added and because
we have Kedrick as the annointed prospect three years
down the line.

Its a scare tactic question, but is it possible we traded
a Jeff Bagwell for two 30-ish 'tweeners? I seriously
doubt it.

I keep bringing up Bagwell (a certain Hall of Famer
obviously), because AAA 3B Scott Cooper (later twice a
Red Sox All Star I believe)and ML 3B Wade Boggs were a
rung above him.

That's kind of how it played out with Joe Johnson. You
have Pierce as the batting champ and Kedrick as the
annointed top prospect (and Forte).

In other words, he may be a bust but he wasn't traded
because he was a bust.

Boston was wise to move one of these prospects to upgrade
our "bullpen". The Celts could afford to. We all hope we
got rid of the right guy.

But all this about what a born loser Joe Johnson is and
how we are recouping off a blown draft (everyone else
apparently made off like bandits). Well give that a rest,
please.

We don't need to bash Joe Johnson to prove we won the
trade.

Boston adds a pair of double-figure scorers and locker-
room leaders for Joe Johnson, and we behave like he had
so little trade value that we could barely give him away.

If we haven't learned the lesson of patience from
following Toine and Pierce's development in Boston, then
we are stupid learners. Give the "Joe Johnson is a
failure" part of this debate a rest. It sounds ignorant.

Boston gave up something of value (potential and signs of
real talent) to gain something of value (a bonafide
veteran playoff bench). I'm happy this opportunity came
along, even if Joe Johnson blossoms out there (as long as
Kedrick does the same over here). I don't feel any urge
to bash him, based on the evidence.

This probably reads like a confused post, but I won't
bother re-reading it before clicking send! To be honest,
I don't even know exactly what my point was. ;-) Just
rambling on.

Go CELTS!

Joe

How do you all feel about tonight. Its hard to imagine
Boston winning, but back-to-back wins against the best
teams out West would be a very, very postive milestone.
Strangely, I was sure Boston would win on this trip
against the Lakers (I marked it as a "W"). I know how
Toine plays historically versus LA, and the Pierce
homecoming was a factor too. But tonight we are playing a
TEAM that usually makes Boston look way out of their
depths.

Of course, the talent gap has never been narrower. Finley
(if he's not traded in the next few hours) and Paul
Pierce are at least for the moment on opposite
trajectories, and Walker may be the league's best player
with two triple doubles in a week. Even so, I think its
going to be Patriots-level odds that our headband boys
can win. Go Celts.

***

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
Pour crier votre adresse : http://www.nomade.fr/courrier/ouvrir.asp