Re: The Shot!!

In a message dated 2/20/2002 4:43:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
norine@sover.net writes:

> I don't think you could tell from watching the shot we saw in the game that
> the shot was too late, but on ESPN I saw the shot from a different angle
> and the ball was
> definitely still on Kobe's fingers when the clock went to zero.

Immediately after watching the game on League Pass thru the Laker's feed I
switched to Fox Sports NE which was blacked out here for the game but came
back on immediately following with the post game report. They showed an angle
from midcourt where you could clearly see the clock above the basket rather
than the one on the screen and the zeros were up there while the ball was
still in his hand, it wasn't even a matter of fingertips like the clock on
the screen made it look. Still, a gutty call by the normally gutless refs who
didn't have the benefit of replay and could easily have done the easier and
more popular thing and let the shot count. I couldn't believe that it was
even close between the catch, the fake, and then the shot all in 1.2 seconds.
I was ready to rant about hometown clock management!

Anyway, the good guys won so Ray had to do his best to put us happy fans back
in our place with his usual wet blanket. Sorry Ray, you aren't spoiling this
one. I'm well aware of this teams shortcomings as are all the members of the
list. It doesn't mean that we can't enjoy a big win, and it doesn't mean we
can't appreciate a team that displayed tremendous heart last night. Would we
like that effort every night? Of course! But I just don't think it's possible
over an 82 game schedule.

Our offense is flawed -- very flawed at times -- but we are making the best
of what we have for now and this season is a big turning point for this
franchise.

George