Re: Vecsey Has The Celtics In The Lead for Van Exel

Hmm. I don't know what to think of this one. Van Exel is a heck of a player.
I've never liked him, but that's my own irrational opinion-he played for
Cincinnati in college, and I despise that program, and then the Lakers.
There's no denying his talent. He's an upgrade over Kenny, as long as they
don't turn him into Kenny-bring the ball up, pass it to Antoine, wait for
the occasional kick-out for a jumper. If they let Van Exel run the show, I
think it helps everyone. Obie would love him because his shot selection is
Antoine-like at times. He makes more big shots than any point guard in the
league. As far as what you're sacrificing, it's really only Joe Johnson, and
I think it's clear that they value Kedrick more than Joe. Short of an impact
big man, point guard clearly is the biggest need on this team. In Van Exel
you get a better, sturdier player who can play more minutes and hopefully
take control of the team on the court. And you get the original Joe
Johnson-Calbert Cheaney-to boot!

I'd have to give this one a thumbs-up. Even if it didn't work, it would be
hard to blame them for trying. It would be an attempt at an upgrade this
season and next without sacrificing the 2003 "plan." Of course, it's
probably a moot point because Van Exel has been backpedaling away from that
"give up the last two years of the contract" statement for about two days
now.

Mark

Vecsey wrote (per Ray):

In fact, I have it on infallible authority the Celtics
have
                  entered the bidding and already have Nugget GM Kiki
                  Vandeweghe leaning in their direction. Sources tell me

                  they're prepared to swap Kenny Anderson, rookie Joe
                  Johnson and Randy Brown for Van Exel and Calbert
                  Cheaney.

                  Then again, Boston will not consummate the deal unless

                  Little Nicky agrees to forfeit the final two years
($26.56
                  million) of the five remaining ($60M total) on his
contract,
                  as he has indicated he's willing to do.