RE: [Celtics' Stuff

Joe, four of the rookies you mentioned are high school projects. Everyone
knew they would take time. Rodney White was a college freshman. Joe Johnson
came out as a sophomore-a seasoned veteran compared to most draftees, and
widely proclaimed, even by the "braintrust" to be among the most NBA-ready
rookies. In fact, the frightening thing about Johnson is that he was
NBA-ready. He had the body, the game, the skills, but has shrunk like a
snail in salt. Others are progressing, he's regressing. I've given them a
pass on Kedrick Brown. Forte-I said that was a mistake before the draft,
after the draft and ever since.

I don't buy the "other teams passed, too" argument. If everyone jumped off a
bridge...

What about Richard Jefferson? There's a guy who was sitting there for the
taking at 10 or 11, who played the same position as JJ, and it's reasonable
to believe the Celts should have been comparing the two players. Who was the
better pick? You may say the shrinking violet, but it would only be because
you see him through green-tinted glasses. By every other measure, Jefferson
would have been the better pick. If the Celts had taken Jefferson, who seems
to get better every game, instead of Johnson, we'd be toasting Wallace's
evaluation skills and deriding Johnson for his wallflower persona. Murphy,
Radmanovic, Haywood, Tinsley, Parker... there were so many mistakes made in
this draft, it's laughable. We were told these guys were "clearly" the best
players available, which justified the fact that they all play the same
position. The truth is, not only didn't they fit the roster, but they
weren't the best players available. How else do you judge a GM? On his
trades? Ours keeps trying to sell draft picks for more money. Even
Kedrick... if any other team had taken this mystery man, we'd be ridiculing
that pick. Like I said, I'm giving them a pass on that one (for now), but
what evidence do we have that he's anything more than Corey Maggette,
Desmond Mason or Ricky Davis?

Look at New Jersey (who would have thought we'd be holding them up as models
for others)... they traded Eddie Griffin for Houston's three picks (13, 15
and 18). They got ripped for that move (I still think it was a mistake), but
they turned those picks into Jefferson, a young center who is in the
rotation (Collins) and a combo guard making more of an impact than Forte
(Armstrong). They were criticized for all of those picks (except maybe the
Jefferson selection) even after the trade, but they seem to have done a hell
of a lot better than the Celts. They trusted their own evaluations instead
of falling into line with the "consensus."

Wallace has been here since Pitino got here and what has he done? Pierce
fell in his lap. He reportedly was one of the proponents of the Vitaly
trade. They haven't made a good draft pick other than Pierce, who required
no thinking whatsoever. He signed Eric Strickland. Good move. He also lost
sleep over losing the "Shaq of the Shaw's." Remember Papile's "that speaks
volumes" quote about the Blount signing before the last draft? The
"braintrust" obviously believed Blount was adequate at center-no need to go
big in the draft with the Shaq of the Shaw's around...

What exactly can we judge Wallace on?