Salary dump?

I'm generally as willing as the next Boston sports fan to
gripe about "Pond-scum", "Wallace-Hole" and "Gaston-
Intestinitis" etc. it being one part of civic culture.

But take a break from this "axis of evil" talk and wear
the other shoe for a sec. How many Utah fans do you
imagine are gloating about how their team is ready to
pounce on Boston's craven attempt at a "salary dump" for
financial reasons? Which team is tanking their playoff
run? Possibly the entire Church of latter day saints out
there would read yesterday's mailing list with a real
sense of puzzlement at the one-sided barrage against
Boston's cheap management and this talk
about "principles" etc.

Well dOn't worry, its basically moot. ESPN Insider
yesterday called the Bryon Russell to Boston trade
inplausible because the Jazz reportedly already have
better offers than what the Globe says Wallace will give
(a 47-year-old human groin injury, a 6-11 version of a 98-
pound weakling and, woohoo!, a fourth 20-year-old to add
to our roster via the draft). Meanwhile, not only has
Russell been the third scorer on regular 50 to 60 win
teams, but he even has an expiring contract (which
typically inflates trade value just by itself).

It is likely that Russell will join some other team's 2nd
half playoff run so that Boston can finally stop wringing
its hands over this terrible trade. Through this
horrific, emotional rollercoaster ride (not seen in these
parts since the Antoine Walker for Croshere/Best trade
was called a lock by Bill Simmons), haven't we at least
collectively rediscovered our love affair with McCarty as
a viable backup power forward all along. ;-)

I feel that if this specific trade happens or doesn't
happen, it is for basketball reasons. Give Chris "Wallace-
munch" a break on this one. We've got two first rounders
starting in 2003, and three 20-year-olds to develop
already on board. And yes, we DO want to make the
playoffs and it will be a grueling run. If that means
Battie and E-Will at backup PF for 10 minutes per game
instead of Waltah, well I'm afraid that's just going to
have to be the tragic result of this latest, cynical
gambit.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
Pour crier votre adresse : http://www.nomade.fr/courrier/ouvrir.asp