Hi all,

> If it's not enough that their lack of size is starting to show up during
> this regular-season slide, it's clear that other teams realize the
> difference between December and April-May basketball. Picked these two
> tidbits up at lunchtime. First, Mavs' coach Don Nelson, coach of one of the
> six best teams in the league, saying the second half of the season will be
> spent working on big lineups to get ready for the playoffs. The second is
> from Jeffrey Denberg, who sums up the prevailing opinion on the Celts at
> this point.
>
> They need another big guy (actually, they need two big guys, but let's take
> it step-by-step). News today is Nazr Mohammed is available. Add him to the
> Lafrentz, Jackson, Dampier mix of guys who would help.
>
> Mark

Lets not get carried away on the size thing..Pure size is less useful then
ever
with the advent of zones. You need athleticism and talent first, size second.

You need talent to win in the NBA. I think Lafrentz is the only truly
talented member of that bunch, IMHO. And I am not sure he is the kind of
player we need. I don't think he has great low post game, but at least he can
block shots. A talented big man is a great thing, but we should think twice
about trading talent for size.

It can work okay if you have an abundant talent base....
BUT THE CELTICS DO NOT. The Celtics need to get more talented and athletic
before they worry about putting all the pieces together and getting that big
man.

Look at the awful big man itis...that has inflicted so many teams.
Cleveland's drafting of Diop, Toronto signing Akeem, and Orlando and Patrick.
Dumb. A big stiff won't help us, but some talent will.

I am sure Wallace is hesitant to give up some talent for a big stiff. We have
a big stiff..Potapenko. And we traded him for talent...Andre Miller! What we
need is another Battie type talent. Problem is Battie went like #3 in the
draft!

I would like to see the Celts and some talent, but realistically I don't see
how they
can do it. I don't think the Celts have any talent that they would trade for
a good
big man.

I don't think you will see a deal. I don't think the Celts minus whatever it
takes to get a big man would be much improved. Like it or not..I do think the
Celts best hopes
reside in Brown. I think he is going to be a special player.

Pete