Why?

"McHale Puts Pierce And Walker In Their Places"

  I really have to take umbrage with this entire thread and the quote that
started it.
Why is McHale putting Pierce and Walker in their places?  Did either of these
guys dare to compare themselves to Bird or Russell?  If they did, I must have
missed it.
Isn't it really the media that is being put in their places?  The same media
that asks for a quote from McHale and then runs to Pierce and Walker with the
"Can't carry their jock strap" reference after a most disappointing and hard
fought loss, licking their lips in anticipation of an all out feud and a
months worth of stories?
  And then fans want to pile on?
  Right now I'm watching two guys who have played in games they should not
even be playing in because of sickness and injury and if they played on
almost any other team would not be playing, yet they are sucking it up and
going out their every night.  And still, some fans can't wait to jump all
over them if they don't score 60pts and grab 25 rebounds between them.

  I liked the way Pierce put it......."They did what they had to do in their
time. I'm here to do what I've got to do in my time.''

  It's impossible for anyone to live up to the memories of our sports hero's
of the past.  We all tend to remember the good, forget the bad and embellish
what's left in between.  It's just human nature.  Not too long ago I read
where Jack McCullum said that although he was a huge fan and still is, Larry
Bird was the all time king of bad shots.  Hmmm...maybe he was human after
all?  Do you all think that maybe we could let the current group be human too?